1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I was reading posts in the Kimber forum and there was some concern about the aluminum-framed pistols and damage caused by magazines with steel followers. Does the Scandium added to the S&W aluminum produce an alloy with eliminates the steel versus aluminum damage. I don't recall seeing any such posts here, but I thought I'd check. The commander-sized SC I picked up today came with two Novak magazines. I only ask because I'm partial to Chip McCormick magazines and these were the mags complained about on the Kimber forum. I have a 5 inch Charles Daly EFS which choked on the supplied Mec-Gar mags, but purred like a kitten once I switched to Shooting Stars. I don't recall reading any negative comments regarding the Novak mags, but I was trying not to have to keep the mags separate unless I had to. Thanks.

edison

·
Registered
609 Posts
I also would not use the leaf follower type magazines in the scandium frame

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The concern is about cosmetics.

Followers marring the inside of the grip do not affect the function of the pistol whatsoever. My pushing 40 year old Colt's Commander (alloy frame) has been around the world with me andhas never hiccupped. She was built long before there were anything but USGI type magazines.

But you can just use magazines which won't do this. :)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
881 Posts
I had 10 CM powermags when I got my Scandium pistol. I bought the wilson follower kits for them, that was alot cheaper than buying all new wilson mags. The CM powermags work perfectly with Wilson followers. I dont know if those kits will work in the SS mags, you can call wilson and ask.

I think the marring of the grip frame would kill the resale value of the pistol. I know that I wouldnt be happy to see that on a used pistol I was looking to buy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts