1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read all sorts of reviews on the Scandium alloys being used in S&W "subnose" 357's. Thanks "Nathan"
This could be my pocket gun!

Is Scandium used in many M1911 productions?

Who uses it?

Does anyone have anything bad to say about it?

[This message has been edited by Shinglekill (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I have not at this time seen any info on a Scandium OR any Titanium 1911 based guns, unfortunately. It seems as though they could make a great gun even better!

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just remember, Scandium will make the weapon lighter, increasing felt recoil. However, the weight savings may or may not be negligible. I personally prefer a carbon steel or stainless weapon as the weight of the weapon dampens the felt recoil impulse. I am not aware of any preliminary tests on Scandium durability. Since Scandium is close to Titanium on the Periodic Chart, it should have similar characteristics of Titanium.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I remember correctly, when the Taurus .45 auto in Titanium was evaluated in some gun rag, the author noted that the felt recoil was less than he expected. I think he surmised that the reduced mass of the slide combined with a stiff spring was the reason. At first I thought this was counterintuitive, but maybe recoil in a wheelgun is dampened more by the mass of the gun, whereas most of the recoil in an auto is dampened by the spring, the axis of the grip and the position of the 1st web space along the axis of the barrel.

The slide mass is MUCH more than the bullet mass even in titanium or scandium. But.....the question for the experts is: does perceived recoil come from the mass of the slide or its velocity?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Scandium made the J-frame .357 capable, ti did not.

I am no fan of S&W but Scandium is probably being used where it is best employed - small frame revolvers, not dependent on the physics of slide mass, recoil spring rating or other "moving" considerations for function.

I'll take my autos in steel, but I'd love a 340pd.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I belive that infinity makes 1911's out of Ti.

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Seems that a scandium enhanced Aluminum alloy would be helpful in say a lightweight commander. Don't think anyone has done it yet though.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by JiminCA:
Seems that a scandium enhanced Aluminum alloy would be helpful in say a lightweight commander. Don't think anyone has done it yet though.
The scandium added to the aluminum doesn't make it lighter, it make's it stronger.
To save anymore weight on the 1911, you'd need to use a lighter material slide, which Infinity has with the removable breech face/ aluminum slide.

Titanium also is stronger per weight than alum, but for a frame, it'd actually be heavier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts