1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these new barrels? The reason I asked is because a customer dropped one off for me to put in a bullseye gun I`m building for him. Another gunsmith wrote to me and said he had severe leading after only 30 rounds. The gains twist rifling doesn`t look smooth. It has a lot of lines and to be honest looks very unevenly rifled..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sant,
I've installed two of them in IPSC limited style SVI's. I can't tell you that they are any more accurate than any other quality match grade barrel or that they are prone to leading (since both customers use jacketed bullets). What I can tell you is that they are the smoothest feeding barrels that I've ever used (talking ramped bull barrels). I've used a good many Schuemann barrels and they don't appear to have the smoothest interior finish compared to Kart, Bar-Sto, et al. They are accurate barrels, just the same.
The other thing about the AET barrels that is a little disconcerting is not being able to ream the chamber for headspace or throat the rifling for long loaded .40 S$W ammo due to the fluting in the chamber. The fluting does not appear to have any effect on case life. All in all, both customers are happy with theirs, but mostly from the smooth feeding characteristics.
Regards,
John Harrison

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does the chamber fluting in the AET barrels cause the chamber to clog up with powder residue?
Thanks,
-Sparks

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
I have three of them, two bull and one classic, in my IPSC guns and I like them a lot. They seem to be plenty accurate with jacketed bullets. I haven’t shot any lead in them as of yet.

I haven’t had a problem with brass life or powder fouling from the chamber flutes.

None of mine have the gold TiN coating.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gold titanium finish is only abailable if you purchase the barrel through SVI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts