1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an Oly arms 16" carbine and am finding I don't like the smaller sight radius. I want a scope for it to remedy the problem, and need some advice, I usually am not too much of a scope person.
This is what I would like:
1. doesn't need to have adjustable power.
2. 3X or 4X
3. mil dots, or something so I can hold over on longer distances.
4. inexpensive (but decent quality, if it can be done)
5. this will be used mostly for plinking

Obviously I know very very little about scopes so thanks for any help.
Jake

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Grunt said:
I usually am not too much of a scope person.
This is what I would like:
2. 3X or 4X
3. mil dots, or something so I can hold over on longer distances.
5. this will be used mostly for plinking
O.K., there are some confusing points here. If you are not into scopes then why would you need 3 or 4 power? If the gun is for plinking, again, why would you need 3 or 4 power? Plinking and mil dots?

I can help you best if you clarify what your priorities are, and what you are willing to spend. Your original post is a bit confusing.

Damian

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
sorry, like I said, I know very little on the subject.
Is 3x or 4X not good for plinking? I just figured I didn't need any real powerful magnification, so I'm definitely open to suggestions as far as that goes. I have no problem with adjustable power, just thought it may be more spendy.
I wanted mil dots so I know how to compensate for longer ranges. I thought you would sight in @ 100 yds, then use the dots for anything else. Maybe I'm mistaken how that works, or there is a different way. I just want a way to compensate for longer shots.
I've seen some bushnells for less than $100 or right around there, so that seems about what I'd need to put up, less would be nice but I don't want crap.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I hope I don't come across as offensive, but if you are onlt willing to spend $100, you may as well roll the dice. In the rifle world, tactical or otherwise, the rule of thumb is don't spend less on optics then what you spent on the rifle. My Trijicon TA44-R4 is more than I hoped for. At $600+ it is a bargain. It is 1.5 power. See, you pay for the clarity and quality much more than power.

I would suggest that you take your time and look through as many different scopes as you can. That way, whatever decision you make, you have a good idea of what you are getting into.

Damian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mil-dots do not help with bullet drop compensation.

They're used to judge how far away an object is when you dont know.(think of a sniper in the middle of no where trying to figure out how far away his target is)

Some scopes come with bullet drop compensators(ACOG's do, but are expensive)

You probably wont need one though for plinking. Zero the rifle at 50 yards and it will hit at the same place for 50 yards as 200 yards. Anything in-between those two ranges and you would hold over a couple inches.

Main thing to do right now is practice until your tired of shooting.. and then go shoot some more.

After about 500+ rounds you'll have an idea of what you need to get the rifle to work better for you.

Some thoughts

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Re-reading my post, besides mistyping "only", I fear my point may be lost. I am not trying to sell you anything, or push you in any particular direction. The best way to find out what optics will work for you is 1) Find out what your needs are, 2) Try as many different types/brands/styles as possible, 3) Don't be afraid to put in a pretty penny.

I will be the first to admit that I don't spend alot of time clarifying posts, as forums are pretty subjective in nature, and points are often missed, so if I can be of any help at all, please feel free to e-mail me directly. I'd give you my phone number, but I rarely answer the godforsaken thing.

Damian

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow, I didn't know good scopes were that expensive. guess I'll just hold off a while and save up some money. Thanks for the info.
BTW no offence taken, I need someone to tell me this stuff! See, when I say "I'm not much of a scope guy" I should have said "Umm, I looked through someone else's scope....once...a long time ago" Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I need to spend a little time on the phone with Damian. I've got the same problems as you with my M4, Grunt. I'm old school, and always laughed at guys with optics on their black .22, but now my eyes are asking for some help! I went looking at optics, and I'm more confused than ever. Red dots, standard crosshairs, both-eyes-open displays, ray-gun looking thingies, where do we start? I don't need much if any magnification either. How do we start shopping smart?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes mus, pretty much. I feel like I can't quite a good enough sight picture with that post so close. I'm used to the issued M-16s w/ a 20" barrel.

AZ, tell me about it! so many options, and I can't afford all these things on.. well, a grunts salary!

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I think I remember seeing thinner front sight posts somewhere. That might be a cheaper fix if you want to stay with iron sights.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That might be a good idea Mus.. I'll check out Brownells, if there's one out there they'll have it probably. Thanks again guys, have a good one.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Lots of semantics going on here.

The bottom line is that the Leupold M8-4x33 scope is quite a good scope for the reasonable price (<$275.00 if you shop around).

The 4x makes the odd 300 yd. shots easier than irons alone. It is a "fast" scope due to its lower power magnification, and it is very light and compact.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
the Bushnell series of scopes are great. The banner is probibly the sleeper in the plinking scope world. Optics as good as most low end Leopolds and inexpensive. I use a banner 4-12 on my 10/22 and its great. STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW END LEOPOLDS...they arent made the same way as the high end scopes, and the quality of optics is horrid for what you pay. For the same money you could get a 3200 bushnell in low magnification and have a scope thats 10x better. Ive looked and shot through leopolds, and except for their little CQ red dot i didnt like any of them, and felt they were way to much for what you got.

if i were to be using a ar15 out to any sort of long ranges this is what i would be using... http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-op-ge5090sa.html or one of its cousins

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
NJKimberSS said:
Ive looked and shot through leopolds, and except for their little CQ red dot i didnt like any of them, and felt they were way to much for what you got.

Jeez, you sure are in the minority.

Oh, and FYI - the "low end Leupolds" are made with the same tolerances and glass quality as the higher end scopes. The difference is that the "low end" models don't have variable magnification, and have a fixed parallax setting. The only other difference is that the "low end" models don't have click adjustments on the turrets. That's it - it is NOT a question of lesser quality.

Of course, your eyes are entitiled to choose what they see best through, but I think it's only fair to know the facts before you make such blanket statements.

And check your PM's.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go check out some Leupolds and bushnells at a sporting goods store to find what I like. Thanks again,
Jake

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
shane45-1911 said:
Jeez, you sure are in the minority.

Oh, and FYI - the "low end Leupolds" are made with the same tolerances and glass quality as the higher end scopes. The difference is that the "low end" models don't have variable magnification, and have a fixed parallax setting. The only other difference is that the "low end" models don't have click adjustments on the turrets. That's it - it is NOT a question of lesser quality.
And check your PM's.
IIRC the tolerances arent as tight nor are the coatings the same...im 90% sure that this is the case...and not having click adjustments is pretty sad on a 300 dollar scope...IMO, with leopolds more so than most makers your paying alot for a name.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Well, a lot of good advice and indeed the more you spend the better glass and quality you are going to get.

However as you stated you aren't shooting a Precission Rifle nor do you expect that from the scope. This is intended for plicking and just having fun on a tight budget at that.

I assume you have an A2 with a carry handle where you need to mount the scope.

Below are just some thoughts to keep you in the lower price range and not the diffenative answer.

You could get 2 or 3 NEC, BEC, Euro Lux or other such Chi Com 4x22 scope with AR carry handle mount. 1st off you remove the mount to body screw and add red Loctite #271.

The reason for buying two is should something go awray with one you mount the other and send the defective scope in for repair or replacement....Lifetime Warranty

Next idea would be a B Square $20.00 mount, again there are far better but we are working on a budget.

Mount a BSA 30MM Red Dot sight...No magnifaction but again you are just plinking and not shooting eggs at 300 yrds.

Then you could look on the For Sale Forums for an ATN 5x33L which is BDC for 5.56 out to 500 yards.

I have had great luck with all the ATN sights and scopes I have had.....Still have a 5x33 LU I use on my SA M1a. The 5x33L is luminated Red Dot Reticle with range finder as well.

You might even get by with a Wally World 3x9-40 for $40.00 or so....again, life time warrranty so buy 2 and rotate if need be.

Again, these are not the best in optics and in no way intended to survive full blown battle field conditions. Some might last 6 month
or indeffenently.

I have never sent back a BSA Red Dot or any ATN products but I have sent in an extremely more expencive scope for repairs.

Again, I mean no flames or disrespect as I do also agree about the better quality and clarity for the higher priced glass as has been stated.

You are looking to just have fun on a budget.

Just my opinion.

Karsten

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Grunt,

What configuration is your Oly? That will help a lot with reccommendations...

STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW END LEOPOLDS...they arent made the same way as the high end scopes, and the quality of optics is horrid for what you pay. For the same money you could get a 3200 bushnell in low magnification and have a scope thats 10x better. Ive looked and shot through leopolds, and except for their little CQ red dot i didnt like any of them, and felt they were way to much for what you got.
IIRC the tolerances arent as tight nor are the coatings the same...im 90% sure that this is the case...and not having click adjustments is pretty sad on a 300 dollar scope...IMO, with leopolds more so than most makers your paying alot for a name.
NJKimberSS, It shows that your an eighteen year old, who got a lot of growing up to do. It's better not to post at all, than to post BS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts