1911Forum banner

scout scope suggestions?

1158 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  EricO
I posted a note in the for sale/wanted to buy section regarding a scout scope for my marlin 1895 in .450 cal. Was thinking about the Leupold but am wondering what else is out there. Any suggestions on what might work well for me? Thanks.

Greg
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
875 Posts
I know it may sound crazy, but consider the Aimpoint Comp ML3 with the 2 MOA dot. You get 50,000 hours of battery life (that's over five years), and a very clear, perfectly circular 2MOA dot. You don't get the benefit of magnification, but you will get faster sight picture acquisition and the dot is plenty for the useful distances of your rifle.

· Registered
187 Posts
To the best of my knowledge

the only other scout scope is made by Burris.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
eBay

I have bought several new and used scopes over on eBay and all have been just as described and usually way under wholesale....never had a problem. If you go over to the Sporting Goods/Hunting/Optics section and put in Leupold Scout any available pull right up. Two have sold in the last few days for the $175.00 area.

I have never owned one of the Burris scopes but have looked through them and they seem just as clear as the Leupold.

Have tried pistol scopes but of all the ones I have only a Burris 3 power will fill the objective lens at 9" which is about what you need for a Scout Scope.

Bob

· Registered
2,935 Posts
Leupold or Burris the Burris has an adjustable eye piece.

Leupold or Burris the Burris has an adjustable eye piece. The Leupold has no adjustments which may mean the Leupold is more rugged but also if you need the adjustment you won't get it with the Leupold.

I'd suggest taking as much care with the choice of cross-hairs. In my own case I have finer cross hairs on my .308 true Scout and coarse cross hairs on my big bore pseudo-scout - both Leupold. I don't notice that much difference but enough that I'm happy to have it that way. Sort of like reading a normal book and large print and larger cross hairs are just a tad quicker I think.

· Registered
475 Posts
H'zilla, awhile back I was doing the same search you were, looking for a decent scout scope. It pretty much came down to the Leupold and the Burris, with the "Lupey" taking the win based on feedback. Like it was mentioned, you can also use a non magnification red dot scope such as an Aimpoint. After some searching I found a Leupold M8 Scout scope for around $200.00 nib via the internet. I believe they recently renamed their scope a different model number and also raised the price a bit as well. You'll most likely find the new model (don't know if they did any changes to it) at around $240.00 - $275.00 and the previous model at around $210.00 - $240.00.

I needed it for my Savage Scout rifle shown below.

Yes, if you look closely enough you'll notice that I configured the Ching sling incorrectly for the pic. :scratch: It was new and I hadn't quite figured it out yet. :)
EricO

· Registered
3,320 Posts
If one is not changing sighting points all the time there really isn't any diference. I've never know VX-II scopes to change zero because of the friction adjustments.

I love your Savage Scout. Had one but could not make it feed so I sold it and bought a Rermington 700 Youth Synthetic with 20" barrel. Added a LimbSaver slipon recoil pad and have basically the same gun...

Bob

· Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the tips regarding the scopes Bob. Truthfully, this is my first bolt action rifle and the whole scope stuff is fairly new to me. I'm more of a handgun/shotty guy myself. I'm enjoying the rifle though, with the little use I've put it to so far. It is light, short, fairly handy and I can see why scout rifles work well as a compromise. They're not dedicated to one thing in particular, but seem do do adequately as a general purpose rifle. I've only put some Aussie surplus 7.62 ammo through it so far, at 25/50 and then 100 yards while sighting in.
EricO

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
leupold scout scope

Erico, are you happy with your scope so far? What do think about the quality of the optics. As far as the adjustments, I presume there is windage and elevation, but is there not a focus adjustment on the eyepiece? Was hoping you could help me understand. How about the eye relief, is it forgiving, or finicky. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Bye the way, nice looking setup. How is the sling "supposed" to be mounted. I just couldn't figure it out by looking at the picture.

greg

· Registered
475 Posts
Greg, I am happy with my selection of components for my Savage Scout. Along with the Leupold, I picked up the Andy Langlois leather Ching sling, Uncle Mike QD sling swivels and pop-up lense covers, and Warne Optima (iirc?) low QD scope mounts. Several very helpful people on multiple forums showed me where to place the 3rd sling swivel stud on the factory stock. I am; as I mentioned in a prior response, a rifle rookie so I don't have much to base my opinions on. I do run an AR carbine in local "3-gun" matches but use iron sights. My "instruction" for the AR amount to a Gunsite tactical carbine tape, Jim Crew's Urban Carbine, Some of the Answer,whatever useful (! emphasis added ;) ) info I glean off internet sources, and informal instruction given from other skilled shooters. I manage to hold my own with the local yocals. The Savage won't hold up with the precision 200 yard rifle matches however, since the magnification would most likely need to be higher to even see the much smaller targets offered.

As far as the Leupold scope goes, you are correct. There are windage/elevation adjustments but no adj eyepiece. The eye relief is fabulous, no problems whatsoever. The glass is clear and bright and the reticle seems fast to acquire.

The Ching sling is correct as mounted on my picture if the short center piece is above the "stop" on the main part of the sling. When mounting you slip your left (for a rightie) arm high, past the elbow, through the front loop. When adjusted correctly everything will lock up tightly. Instructions on how to mount the sling, adjust the sling, and to purchase the fine leather slings made by Andy Langlois (a left coast LE officer, and great guy) are located here - www.shottist.com . To my knowledge there are only 3 manufacturers of Ching slings - Galco (leather), The Wilderness (nylon), and Andy Langlois (leather).
EricO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.