1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I picked up a Gold Cup (from a clumsy person) with a scratch on the frame from the slide stop. I would like to keep the gun as stock as possible and retain it's value. Can a gunsmith fix this or do I need to send it to Colt for refinishing???

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Don't bother fixing it. It can only be fixed by refinishing, and that will kill its value. It's not possible to duplicate the georgeous Royal Blue finsh anymore as everybody (including Colt) now uses less expensive bluing salts.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
You really shouldn't sweat it. The slide stop scratch is a beauty mark common to 1911s. Unless it went across the slide nobody's likely to care too much.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
332 Posts
i scratched mine just trying to figure out why it wasn't aligning the way it should. turns out i was just so excited to have it, i needed to relax just to get the slide stop in. can't even remember the last time i noticed it. i was pissed when it first happened though. take care
and good shooting!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
I bought an unfired Delta Elite some time ago. The gun is absolutely beautiful, except for "that" scratch on the frame. The original owner didn't shoot the gun, but he scratched the bejeezus out of it. Since I'm left-handed, most people see only the right side of the gun as I hold it - can't fix the scratch, so I just hide it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts