1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Ed Brown Kobra in SS bead blast finish, I noticed a couple of very superficial scratches on the slide. I decided to try to buff them out with Blue Magic Metal Polish. The result was that the scratches were removed but the bonus was that the appearance of the slide was much more like a polished SS finish. Looks just beautiful.
I then did the frame and the slide stop which came out matching perfectly to the slide's new brightness. The gun looks much better now.
Use light pressure and do it by hand,. You may be surprised as I was by the great results.
I think deeper scratches would be a bigger problem but for superficial ones, this works.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Frank
I haven't bothered to figure out the photo thing yet. I'll get to that one day. The gun just is brighter like hard chrome-ish. All I really did was to cut down some of the bead blast. The whole deal took less than an hour. Use a very clean microfiber cloth for both polishing and buffing rubbing very fast but with light pressure. Great shine but not "mirror" like. This Blue Magic stuff is a VERY fine abrasive and I wouldn't recommend other metal polishes. This stuff doesn't scratch. I have a long history using it on my motorcycles.
I just couldn't see sending it back to Brown again for such small scratches
(I'm very neurotic about scratches ) so I decided to try this thinking that if I screwed up, I could always do so. Turns out I like it a lot better than the stock bead blast finish.
Be sure to clean all of the polish off especially if any gets into the rails or mechanism.
Joe

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Frank
I haven't bothered to figure out the photo thing yet. I'll get to that one day. The gun just is brighter like hard chrome-ish. All I really did was to cut down some of the bead blast. The whole deal took less than an hour. Use a very clean microfiber cloth for both polishing and buffing rubbing very fast but with light pressure. Great shine but not "mirror" like. This Blue Magic stuff is a VERY fine abrasive and I wouldn't recommend other metal polishes. This stuff doesn't scratch. I have a long history using it on my motorcycles.
I just couldn't see sending it back to Bron again for such small scratches
(I'm very neurotic about scratches ) so I decided to try this thinking that if I screwed up, I could always do so. Turns out I like it a lot better than the stock bead blast finish.
Be sure to clean all of the polish off especially if any gets into the rails or mechanism.
Joe
E-mail me pics. I will post them. Use the e-mail feature in my contacts panel on this forum.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bad...the pic is NG. I'll try a closeup so the finish can be seen. Also pretty grainy. Thanks for trying but it doesn't show here.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
So, you did the slide stop and everything visible (MSH and front strap)?

I have sent my Brown back once for bead blasting. But, if and when it gets scratched again, maybe I'll try some Flitz and see if it does something similar (I already have flitz)

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greyson..Thank you so much.
Shipwreck...I did the slide stop and frame but not the front strap which is snakeskin. The gun looks basically the same but much brighter and the scratches are totally out. I had real fear about doing this but decided that I would send it back to EB if I screwed it up, so I tried. I've also sent the gun back before to EB for a blast but was embarrassed to do so for the minor scratches I had again! Worked great!
I'd bet the Flitz will do as well as the Blue Magic....Just do it with light pressure and fast strokes. Buff out with rapid light strokes as well.
Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts