1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can y'all recommend a good brand of gunsmith screwdrivers?

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
My advice to you is.

Check out Brownells web site. They have several different sets as well as individual drivers. I have a master set and they are fine.

My two cents. :rock:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
My son got me a set of Pachmayer screwdriver/tips last year for Christmas.

It has like 5 different sized phillips and 12 different straight blade as well as an assortment of other tips that must be for ray guns or light sabers.

Anyway, . . . they work great, . . . and the whole thing comes in a snap closed light blue plastic case that sits nicely in my desk drawer.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
The best set, and used by most pro gunsmiths is the Brownell's Magna-Tip set.

These are the best quality, they offer more sizes than anyone else, and Brownell's replace broken bits for free.
All you have to do is email them.
The quality of metal and workmanship is top of the line, the range of sizes will fit right at 99.999% of all screws without alterations.

I recommend the Law Enforcement size handles.
The big handle is too big for good control on most applications, and the stubby handle is just too short for good control:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=417/Product/MAGNA_TIP_SUPER_SETS_trade_

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Dillon sets are OK. Mine has lasted for probably 15 yrs now and the only real issue with it is that I've lost some number of the bits over the years and the too many moves in the meantime. The Chapman set is great. I've had that one for probably 30 yrs or more and same issue as the Dillon, I and the people I've let use the set have lost too many of the bits over the years. If you're in a hurry to get some screwdrivers that fit your screws, try Northern Tool. I bought a pile of new screwdrivers down there a few months back, not intending them to be for my guns, just stocking a new shop, but lo and behold if some of them aren't the perfect fit for most used sizes like 1911 grip screws. So some of them wound up in a tool holder over my bench and haven't scarred up a screw head yet. The main thing is just to make sure that the screwdriver you're using fits in the screwhead with no wiggle, otherwise you're likely to scuff up the screwhead and even those of us who regard the gun as a tool and don't mind normal wear marks on our guns don't like nasty looking screw heads on our prized possessions.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
In addition to the Brownell's set, you might want to pick up a little Husky HD-74501S screwdriver, it comes with 4 different combo phillips/SAE bits that store in the handle, from small to very small - works great for eyeglass repair also. I've had mine for years and it's my go-to screwdriver.

·
Registered
427 Posts
1 Of the best investments I've made was a Wheeler Engineering set. I believe it's 71 pieces. LOTS of straight bits, allen bits, torx bits, and phillips bits. Includes 2 handles. I think it was $59.00. I've never met a screw or scope mount/ring I couldn't use these for.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
1976 Chapman, Gun/Screwdriver Kit (No. 9600)

I didn't know the "Chapman" set was so well-known or highly revered!
My Chapman set is 34 years old;still in the red,fake-leather box. I've only "misplaced"(it'll show up sometime) one tip which was only a phillips-head anyway.

I did buy a set of red-handled, "Bonanza" (Fairbault,Minn.) screwdrivers for some reason;but,have never really needed them in addition to my old Chapman set.

Nostalgic screwdrivers. How sick is that!?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
+1 for the Wheeler set, I have the Chapman set and the tips are harden too much, they keep breaking. The Wheeler I have hasn't broken a tip yet.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
guy,the Wheeler drivers look to be a fine set,indeed. For sure a more sophisticated set than the Chapman. The Chapman was REALLY inexpensive even 30 years ago;but,that is what it is.

Regarding breakage,look what Wheeler says about screwdriver bits breaking!!
Makes me want to buy a set because of what they say about breakage:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=439523

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Yes I know, I am not from the school of BFH. That's how I broke my Chapman bits using the hand ratchet and handle to remove a stubborn screw. I broke the bit but didn't mess up the screw head. Some of the old gun that my friends bring me to clean or fix are in really sad shape, and I charge extra for the extra effort. Most of the stuff are basket cases and are a challenge to say the least.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've got a Chapman set that my dad got some 20 - 30 years ago. Couldn't ask for a better product.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I have a 25 year old Chapman (red fake leather box) set myself, but it doesn't have Torx. I started to buy three bits for about $1.95 each plus shipping, but saw the Pachmayr set at Midway for $10.. Got it too.. Ron

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Master Gunner... just what I was looking for:biglaugh:

Seriously, thanks for all the replys... my daughter's looking for a Christmas present for dad...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts