1911Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
:biglaugh: “I was surprised by how close in energy the .22 LR was to the .380”

That one killed me!! :biglaugh: I get visions of the 380 bullets falling out of the target board!

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
Don't need to fight my way to a long gun or shotgun. I've seen the John Wick movies, so I know a pistol is all I would ever need..... :rolleyes:

I considered 22 Short, but Scientific Studies have shown that it tends to bounce off paper targets at 25 yards.

I do have a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. Gave it some Mcarbo upgrades, stuck a $50 red dot on it. Shooting range ammo, it's more accurate than an open-sights pistol shooting good stuff, at 25 yards. Groups consistently under 2". But being in a (Democrat-controlled) city, not sure what I would use it for. I do not anticipate shooting anyone at longer distances, so still thinking pistol for more portable/concealable. Unless we go full WROL or Civil War 2, but honestly I don't think those will happen. However, life is uncertain.....

I'm considering 9mm as my backup plan, and .45 or even 10mm as the primary. I want to shoot a 1911 or other all-steel 10mm to see if I like it. Not gonna get any light polymer guns in that caliber, or in .45 for that matter.

I enjoy, build my on guns, and shoot handguns competitively. I have been shooting pistols and rifles for over 50 years.......even so, I would not use a handgun for self defense in my home.

I am one year older than the OP, and live alone. If I were awakened by a bump in the night, I would use a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buck or slugs...…

I would not roam the house with a flashlight or even a light mounted on a handgun, since it gives away my position. I would not know how many people have entered my home, and there is too much risk of an ambush.

IMHO, it is best to lock all doors before going to bed, including your own bedroom...… If you think you have intruders, get your cell phone and weapon, and hunker down in the safest area of your master bedroom, which may be a bathroom or closet.....call 911 and get LE help.....they are trained to clear a house or building, and will usually respond with two or more officers.
"I'm armed and just called 911", screamed a bedroom cornered victim in Detroit. 911 ain't gonna show up any time soon in this neighrbood. Change the scream slightly with a deeper voice, "I'm armed and I just called my lawyer"! Now they know that you are serious and they better git gone!

Shotgun advocates notwithstanding, seriously, OP --what is wrong with the gun you'ved carried all day being your bedside gun? Works for me.

Don't need to fight my way to a long gun or shotgun. I've seen the John Wick movies, so I know a pistol is all I would ever need..... :rolleyes:
:rofl: I can't get over the number of guys who get hung up on that movie when anybody who knows anything about real assassins knows from the Hitman games that real pros use silenced AMT Hardballers. ;)

I do have a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. Gave it some Mcarbo upgrades, stuck a $50 red dot on it. Shooting range ammo, it's more accurate than an open-sights pistol shooting good stuff, at 25 yards. Groups consistently under 2". But being in a (Democrat-controlled) city, not sure what I would use it for. I do not anticipate shooting anyone at longer distances, so still thinking pistol for more portable/concealable. Unless we go full WROL or Civil War 2, but honestly I don't think those will happen. However, life is uncertain.....

I'm considering 9mm as my backup plan, and .45 or even 10mm as the primary. I want to shoot a 1911 or other all-steel 10mm to see if I like it. Not gonna get any light polymer guns in that caliber, or in .45 for that matter.
I was going to suggest that a PCC might be a good way of splitting the difference. I completely agree with your point about ease of shooting. But I also agree with the clumsiness factor of even a small carbine in a tight space. I have had the opportunity of confronting a group of wannabee home invaders armed with just a pistol, and while nobody called my bluff, I still recall how much I longed for a shotgun or a rifle at the moment.

Don't be too quick to dismiss one of the polymer 10mms, unless you simply don't care for polymer. I have not shot a 1911 in 10mm but I have shot Glock 21s and full-size XDMs in both .45, and in my experience both mitigate felt recoil better than a full-size 1911. The XDM was such a revelation that I bought one in 10mm (not that I would prefer it for HD duty -- too much flash and bang)

Years ago during a conversation with a Montana State Trooper about home defense he very specifically recommended a 12 or 20 ga with #4 buckshot. Will not penetrate drywall if you live in an apartment, provides pellets with enough mass to stop the bad man, and enough spread to make shot placement “about there”. He also said that if they manage to die outside the house drag them back in. So I have a 20 ga with #4 buck and a Sig 220 with 230 gr Federal LE ammo by the bed and sleep very well.

Discussion starter · #28 · (Edited)
Shotgun advocates notwithstanding, seriously, OP --what is wrong with the gun you've carried all day being your bedside gun? Works for me.
Nothing wrong with using the 365. Just thinking that more whack per bullet would be a good way to go.

@ Pale Face: shot a Glock 10mm recently. The only gun that ever made me flinch! For me it's too light for that amount of power. Hence, all-steel for a 10mil. I would consider a Glock 41 though--relatively inexpensive, 14 rounds of .45 ACP, long slide, 36 oz. Slap some Truglo FO/tritiums on it, done. But they're just so dang boring! :bawling: The XD-M .45s are 31 and 32 oz, still kinda light but a good gun. Admittedly I have not shot one.

@ booter: A short shotgun with #4 does make sense. I see no need for a rifle indoors that a .45 or 10mm won't do as well. Too cumbersome.

Reactions: Phreddie30.06
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.