1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a slighty used (approx 200 rounds) SDS that I can pick up from my local Wilson master dealer for about $2K. Seems like a fairly good deal to me.....

If anyone has any experience with this pistol, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cobra,

I owned one for about a year and it was one of the nicest pistols I've handled. The extra weight up front from the blast wafer made the recoil more manageable.

I would not hesitate in recommending this gun and it sounds like it's priced well as it is used.

Next, treat yourself to a Tactical Elite.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CYA,
Thanks for the feedback. I have the pistol on hold at my local dealer for a day or two while I think about it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Before finalizing the deal, I would recommend that you field strip the pistol down to at least the barrel, frame, and slide at the dealer's shop (if he'll allow it) and take a good look at the frame, slide, and anything else you can look at for damage (like proper lubrication, cracks, damage, etc.). I'd really be curious if the frame is a LTWT (Aluminum frame).The physical inspection may tell a story about the how the pistol was cared for.

One forumite did just that and found some issues with the SDS he was looking at (the SDS was abused, evidently).

If he doesn't allow the field strip, think very hard about the deal and ask yourself how much you trust this dealer. If you trust him, great. If not, you'll know what to do...in case you don't: walk.

Also, see if you can get some further info on the gun besides the number of rounds shot through it.

The great news is that since we're talking about a Wilson Combat pistol, the guarantee (not a warranty- it doesn't exist legally per-se) follows ownership, in this case, that could be you. The only thing the guarantee doesn't cover is work done by someone else besides Wilson Combat. If there are problems with the gun post sale, you can probably get Wilson Combat to make things right, but that may be an inconvienience to you (you'll still pay for shipout (read: Overnight UPS/Fedex), which isn't cheap).

$2000.00 sounds like a great deal for an SDS. I have seen some in similar or better condition within this price point, so it's not far off.

Good luck with the deal, but please be careful. $2000.00 is a lot of money.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimbo:
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, $2K is a lot of money. And, since my wife is allowing me to purchase a firearm of my choosing as a birthday gift, I want to make sure I don't screw it up <g>

The dealer told me that the SDS was originally purchased by a wealthy customer that buys many high-end firearms from him. He had always purchased full size 1911's, and decided to try the SDS. Apparently, after one range session, he decided that he didn't like the recoil, and promptly traded it in on another full size Wilson.

I know this is the Wilson forum, but I am waiting to check out a new Baer Concept VII that they have coming in tomorrow. It is several hundred less than the used SDS.

I'll take your advice and ask them if I can strip the SDS down to take a good look at it when I go back tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I will add my two cents on the two guns from an upper level view:

Both guns are great guns, period.

Both guns are Semi-custom, with the SDS receiving more hands-on time and attention to detail with a single master pistolsmith (which equates to more money). The retail difference between the two is over $1300.00. The Concept VII is around $1545.00 retail with the SDS (base) at $2895.00 retail.

The Concept VII is a Commanche size frame, while the SDS is an Officers size frame.

From a competition perspective: Because of the weighty blast wafer (which aids in follow-up shots), the SDS pistol is also non-IDPA legal (same goes for the Tactical Elite).

One thing I have seen in Les Baer pistols: they build them tight...sometimes too tight in my opinion. Racking a slide on one in a shop was a chore. In fairness, users have reported that the slide loosens up after 1000 rounds on break-in. The Wilson Combat pistols definitely feel different, snug, but smooth.

Try them both...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cobra,

If the intended use is IDPA or competition, look for a 5" gun. If it is going to be a carry piece you are right on target with the SDS.

Compared to the LB VII is no comparision at all IMHO.

I owned a Concept VIII which is the S.S. brother of the VII.
I could not get that thing to run right even after two trips back to LB. Nothing but smiles with my SDS.

Even though the SDS is quite a bit more than the VII, I think you will still be money ahead in the long run with the Wilson.

Let us know how it turns out.

G

·
all I can say is I love my SDS. Mine is a LW alloy framed version but most newer ones are all steel. You have to try pretty hard to really hurt one. I'd go with the Wilson, but then again I have 2 and am partial

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I just got back from the gun store and I went in a different direction. The SDS was a good deal, and very tempting, but in the end logic won out - I really wasn't looking for an officer-sized pistol. If it had been a Tactical Elite, it would have been an easy decision, I think. Also, I was mistaken in my earlier post - the SDS was $2150, not $2000......

Anyway, after looking at all of the Baers and Wilsons, it came down to the Baer Super-Tac and the CQB.

I picked the full size CQB in black. For my first semi-custom, or mid-level 1911, I think I made a good choice.

Thanks for all of your input - it is greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts