1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just bought this Tisas USGI a couple of weeks ago and wanted to give some feedback. It's awesome. Have not shot it yet, but for the money, and just looking at it, it's quite impressive. Have a 1943 Remington Rand, but choose not to shoot it for obvious reasons. This will fit the bill to enjoy a very true-to-form clone. Changed out the grips to the wooden USGI one's from Sarco and couldn't be happier. Grips came with a "49" armory marking on them which I think looks great! Purchased it from BUD's for $369ish shipped. Overall, an incredible deal. Gun locks up tight, and if shoots as good as it looks, will be a keeper. Just wanted to give my initial feedback to anyone who is looking to purchase. Based on other forum members feedback, I'm sure accuracy will be just as good. Thanks for reading!

Ruddyhair

· Administrator
80,268 Posts
If I were in the market for a GI look-alike 1911 the Tisas would probably be my choice. I saw one at a LGS a year ago, and it was tempting. However my safe is full of mil-spec 1911s so I decided I needed another one like I needed another hole in my head.

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
@dsk
For the price, how can you lose? I think you'd be impressed, especially if you detail stripped one.

· Registered
215 Posts
If I were in the market for a GI look-alike 1911 the Tisas would probably be my choice. I saw one at a LGS a year ago, and it was tempting. However my safe is full of mil-spec 1911s so I decided I needed another one like I needed another hole in my head.
Guess it all depends on how that “hole in the head” gets there…🤣😉

· Registered
45 Posts
You're going to enjoy your Tisas I think? I got one a couple months ago and it has about 450 rds through it so far without any hiccups at all. Ball ammo, 2 different types of HP and even some frangible stuff. The only thing I changed was I put the wood grips from a Remmy R1 on it.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

· Registered
82 Posts
Tisas with ball ammo is good to go in my 9mm. HPs are not so friendly, the second round in the mag tends to nose dive (not a spring thing). However, Wilson mags work just fine with both profiles. For the price, no complaints, it is a 'training' tool!

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Y'all got amazing deals. I just bought one today from my local gun store for $439. I've already had it to the range, shot 50 rounds of ball with zero malfunctions, and then cleaned it when I got home. I love the Gov't Issue look. I'm going to carry it tonight and for the next few days, at least.

· Registered
371 Posts
I have both 9mm & 45 acp TISAS 1911As. Both came in the plastic case with two mags. About 1200 rounds ball ammo through both so far. Very little signs of wear, mostly inside the slide. There is a little trigger slack just like my RemRand & Ithaca. Only wish I found out about them sooner. SDS Imports LLC - Importers of 1911 Pistols, Shotguns and More. ;has a few parts for sale. I emailed them about the 1911A1 slide stop they have; description doesn't state for which caliber gun. Their reply "The slide stop will work with both the 45 and 9mm. Our 1911s are series 70 compatible and most series 70 parts will fit but minor fitting may be required."

· Registered
54 Posts
I had been reading about the Tisas 1911 pistols for quite a few months now, my trying to get a good feel for what their status/reputation was out in the general gun owner community. One thing I noticed was that posts on gun forums that dated some years back, tended to have a lot more issues/concerns about them. The older reviews were not all bad, but were definitely exposing a more common hit or miss situation with them.
When I compared those older reviews with the more recent ones, (reviews about them roughly done within the past 2 or 3 years), the reviews seemed to be much more on the positive side. It almost seemed like the discussions had shifted to another maker's gun altogether.
So, what could have happened to cause the Tisas 1911 pistols to seemingly improve overall as a product?... Well, I obviously don't have a definitive answer to that, but do have a plausible theory.
Tisas started up shop in Turkey in 1993, so it's not like they were a many, many decades old firearms manufacturer. They likely had quite a few years of growing pains, so that itself may have contributed to some of their inconsistencies. Also, their initial 1911 model offerings could have been done without having the right guidance. They could have been trying to mostly do them based on what was on paper, but maybe without having that touch of a knowledgeable 1911 person that could monitor and adjust/tweak the guns production as need be.
The Tisas 1911 pistols seems to have been brought in by at least one or two different importers before SDS Imports placed them into their own lineup. So, what I think was initially happening was that the Tisas firm needed to refine their 1911 product, but didn't have a hands on person(s) guidance that could have helped with them achieving that refinement. The previous importers may have placed the orders from Tisas, hoping they would produce and supply them with 1911 pistols that were routinely GTG right from the box, but often didn't work out as they had hoped.
Insert SDS Imports, which has sent personnel to Tisas in Turkey to assist in giving them guidance with their 1911 production line.
This may be the reason that the Tisas 1911 seems to be a much improved product now. Sure, there are some buyers that still run into some issues here and there, but the Tisas now seems more of a likely being a hit, than being a miss.
It seems that the machining tolerances are generally considered tighter than before, and less machining marks present. The frames and slides are now all being made from forged steel, (where before they supposedly had used some castings). Two magazines are now being offered as a standard, and a decent plastic case is now being sent with all of their 1911 pistols, (instead of just a simple cardboard box). Good accuracy is being found to be pretty common with them. The cerakote finish is well applied and consistent, (although I'm personally not really a fan of cerakote). It also seems that SDS and Tisas are willing to do away with the little annoying things that most customers want out... Like, for instance, the current SDS/Tisas 1911 pistols don't have all those safety warnings billboarded on the slides or frames. Also, the Tisas model designation, (Zig 1911), and the made in Turkey marking are now found underneath the frame's dust cover, again avoiding that whole "billboard" looking thing. It's all that and more that are now seemingly improvements on the current SDS Imported Tisas 1911 pistols.
All of my reading about these guns and their seemingly improved status, had finally caused me to bite and pick up a Tisas '1911-A1 Service' model. I was able to put a couple 50 round boxes through it yesterday, and I'm now a happy camper. I feel that it's a keeper 👍
I cleaned it up this morning and replaced the black plastic grips that came with it. I definitely like the look of these replacement wood grips much better. They came off of my Springfield Armory stainless steel Mil-Spec 1911, my having switched them out for another pair. These then became a spare set, but are now again being put to good use 👍
Btw, the local store I purchased this Tisas from had them at $349.99, which after tax, was only like $370-$375, placing it at about half the price I paid for the Springfield Armory Stainless Mil Spec that I previously mentioned.
Just based on my limited experience, I'd have to say that this Tisas Model 1911-A1 Service is truly a steal of a deal, one that is definitely worth some consideration 👍
Btw, this model having a flat mainspring housing, rather than an arched one, is the only thing that makes it fall short of it's 1911-A1 designation, but otherwise does seem to pretty much fit that designation.
It's cold hammer forged barrel is completely hard chromed, (inside and out).
And, no worries about finding a plastic trigger or mainspring housing on this classic handgun design... It's all made out of steel 👍

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
54 Posts
I had read some specifications on a Tisas 1911 pistol that was brought in by an earlier importer some years back, and the listing had them as being made with a slide that was milled from barstock, and a frame that was made from a casting.
It could be that the info was simply incorrect, and that they were actually making them from forged slides and forged frames, (as they are now), all along. But, I think it's more likely that they were made from milled barstock slides and investment cast frames, and that they have simply evolved in many ways since then, (especially since SDS Imports got involved with Tisas).
I think the folks at SDS Imports did their homework on what could help the Tisas 1911 take off over here in the U.S., and then proceeded to give guidance to the Tisas firm in order for the brand to succeed this time around. A mix of better marketing, and an improved product, (which they still continue working on making even better), may very well be working to make Tisas a name that will be hard to beat in the budget priced 1911 category.
The US Dollar is currently quite strong when compared to most of the world's other currencies, with the Turkish currency being no exception, so it likely helps in bringing in the Tisas 1911 pistols at ridiculously low prices per unit. Who knows how long that will continue, but of course as the name grows a bit more, the pricing will likely settle at a little bit more than they are selling for now.
Still, it will likely be the bargain hard to beat in their category 👍

· Registered
54 Posts
When I was looking into buying a Tisas 1911, I quickly realized that they didn't offer blued or phosphates finishes, with Stainless Steel or Cerakoted carbon steel being their norm. Since what I was more interested in was their '1911-A1 US Army' or their '1911-A1 Service' models, it came down to Cerakote as my only option from the factory.
Actually, a lot of websites that give the finish specifications for these guns, often list them as being 'Parkerized', (which is likely the most common name used for describing a 'Phosphated' finish commonly found on military weapons, like found on most WW2 era 1911-A1 guns.
Well, although I am not a fan of painted finishes on guns, and would rather have had an option from Tisas for a Parkerized/Phosphated finish, I still decided to go ahead and purchase the Tisas 'Model 1911-A1 Service'. And... I'm glad I did, since I feel it's likely one of the best bang for the buck deals I've ever had in acquiring a new gun 👍

Now, I imagine that 'Cerakote' is a fully protected/trademarked product name, so since Tisas openly uses the Cerakote name to describe the finish on their guns, it must mean that they are not just using some sort of a substitution, but actually buying and applying the actual Cerakote product to finish their guns 👍
Although I am no fan of any painted on finish on a gun, I am glad that Tisas seems to do a good job at applying the Cerakote, and that it's about as high in quality as paint can get 👍

Font Number Document Parallel Circle

Trigger Gun barrel Font Air gun Gun accessory

· Registered
215 Posts
When I was looking into buying a Tisas 1911, I quickly realized that they didn't offer blued or phosphates finishes, with Stainless Steel or Cerakoted carbon steel being their norm. Since what I was more interested in was their '1911-A1 US Army' or their '1911-A1 Service' models, it came down to Cerakote as my only option from the factory.
Actually, a lot of websites that give the finish specifications for these guns, often list them as being 'Parkerized', (which is likely the most common name used for describing a 'Phosphated' finish commonly found on military weapons, like found on most WW2 era 1911-A1 guns.
Well, although I am not a fan of painted finishes on guns, and would rather have had an option from Tisas for a Parkerized/Phosphated finish, I still decided to go ahead and purchase the Tisas 'Model 1911-A1 Service'. And... I'm glad I did, since I feel it's likely one of the best bang for the buck deals I've ever had in acquiring a new gun 👍

Now, I imagine that 'Cerakote' is a fully protected/trademarked product name, so since Tisas openly uses the Cerakote name to describe the finish on their guns, it must mean that they are not just using some sort of a substitution, but actually buying and applying the actual Cerakote product to finish their guns 👍
Although I am no fan of any painted on finish on a gun, I am glad that Tisas seems to do a good job at applying the Cerakote, and that it's about as high in quality as paint can get 👍

View attachment 658996
View attachment 658995
Agree completely. Like everything about the gun, Service Model, very nice machining and finish. I would consider a refinish job in the future to give it a more authentic feel. Otherwise, nicer grip panels is the only other project for now…

· Registered
54 Posts
Agree completely. Like everything about the gun, Service Model, very nice machining and finish. I would consider a refinish job in the future to give it a more authentic feel. Otherwise, nicer grip panels is the only other project for now…
Yeah, the grip panels were the only thing I felt needed changing asap. I replaced them with this basic wood laminate set that originally came mounted on my Springfield Armory stainless steel Mil-Spec. The Springfield then got a new pair of 'US' embossed Altamont brand 'Super Walnut' laminate wood grips.
It's pretty amazing the difference in appearance a new set of grips makes on a gun 👍😎👍

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

· Registered
543 Posts
I tried a set of USGI grip panels and they did look great but I settled on the Magpul MOE stealth gray since they really did work and feel even better.

As it came from Tisas:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Authentic USGI panels:
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

As currently dressed:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

1 - 20 of 25 Posts