1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With regards to the SDS Tisas 1911A1 Service, I know the frame and slide are cerakoted, but are they carbon steel or stainless steel underneath?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I contacted SDS about this as mine was dropped at the ranged scratched to hell and back by the range Master. While the guy said they where not cerakoted per say, they are a type of bake on coating. Also yes. Carbon steel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a "service" in 9mm and "US Army" in .45. their web sight mentions Parkerizing for the US Army and Cerkote for the Service model. What ever it is it feels like Parkerizing. And for the money these are good value and will prolly go up.

·
Administrator
73,420 Posts
I had a chance to look at one of these yesterday. The finish doesn't look like Parkerizing as it is too smooth and uniform. Other than that though it appeared to be very well-made. I would've bought it if it wasn't priced about $100 over what I'm seeing everyone else sell it for. And no the shop wouldn't budge on the price.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Mine came to my FFL guy on Friday. I picked it up Saturday. It seems very well put together. I order 500 rnds of 230 gr fmj and will take it to the range soon.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Well, did you take it to the range? What ammo did you shoot in it?
I have the same model and I have never had a problem with it.
Let us know.
leadhead
Sorry. I’ve been working on guns at home. I’ll try to go this weekend or next week. Complaints I read about from 2003 have been resolved. I don’t see plastic on it at all. Probably in the mag though. I’m waiting for a few Springfield mags. Crossing my fingers hoping they fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just picked my 1911A1 up today and wanted to post a few pics. I hope to shoot this in the next few days. The finish is well done and very even. Trigger pull is 5.25 pounds. The gun was shipped with plenty of oil and the insides are also well finished.

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,420 Posts
The one I saw in a local gun shop a couple of weeks ago seemed very well put together. No visible tooling marks or rough edges and no slop. I was tempted, but I already have a safe full of 1911s so I decided to cool my jets.

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I could have sworn I read/heard that the newer Tisas frames are forged, but for the life of me I cannot find where I saw that. Normally the price point would have me suspect cast, but my Charles Daly was in the same price range, and it has a forged frame...however its made in Italy, not the P.I.

Can anyone here verify if the frames are cast or forged?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I could have sworn I read/heard that the newer Tisas frames are forged, but for the life of me I cannot find where I saw that. Normally the price point would have me suspect cast, but my Charles Daly was in the same price range, and it has a forged frame...however its made in Italy, not the P.I.

Can anyone here verify if the frames are cast or forged?

Thanks
Try this > https://www.sdsimports.com/default.asp

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
I went with a Springfield Milspec instead.
After going through mine and going through Springers I believe you bought the better gun.

There were a couple reasons I bought the SDS US Army. One was the way its exterior was finished and the 3 major components are forged. I liked the wide spur hammer and thought with that component more surprises might be in order. Lock work in the SDS is soft where the Springers’ tends to be harder. The SDS internal machining is decent. I had to cut the VIS to get only the top of the lower lugs to contact it.

For a closely patterned USGI type pistol the SDS is fun. My biggest peeve is the round unserrated front sight that is hard as blazes. I would never put a good checkering file to an SDS sight to serrate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts