1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night at the club a detective was trying to sell his SDS and I told him I might be interested. He said to make an offer and he'd consider it. I guess the guy is getting a divorce (what LEO doesn't? ;) ) and he needs to "liquify" his assets or something. So all of his handguns and rifles need to be sold by the end of the year for some odd reason. He's only keeping two (his duty 1911 Kimber and his off duty Glock 26). He initially said, "How about $1800?" and I said I'd have to do some research and think about it...then he said, "How about $1500 and some Ranger ammo" again I told him I have to see how much I could spend from my savings. Then he said, "Listen you tell me what you can afford within reason and I'll consider it. I need to get rid of this gun and a lot of people have told me they would buy it and they all back out"

I was going to say how about $1000 but I didn't want to insult him. Maybe I should? The SDS would be a great carry gun for the summer. And if he's willing to sell it for "nothing" then maybe I should just do it.... :hrm:

[edit] btw the gun isn't in the greatest of shape. Much holster wear towards muzzle and the thing has NEVER been cleaned. he said it is a pain to take apart so he just never gets around to cleaning it. He said he shot about 600 rounds so far and he's owned it over a year. Slide was a bit hard to rack as its very dirty. The rear of the gun there is a small "chip" and exposed metal. The tapered cone barrel looks like it could use some grease as it shows lots of wear torwards the end of the cone. Trigger has a little "click" sound before breaking. That's about all I could see.... thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
ol1911:
Sounds like you could get quite a deal here. I would make him an offer based on letting him know that you are going to have to incur additional expenses to ship it back to Wilson to be re-Armor Tuffed ($220 for the complete pistol plus shipping - personally, I would go with a good hard chrome job). The amount of rounds through the pistol isn't a concern for me, but I would find out if it has the steel or light weight frame first before making an offer (if steel, a magnet will stick to the side of the frame). Split the difference and see if he'll take $1200!

·
Registered
462 Posts
One other point...if he didn't have the gun modified by anyone other than Wilson Combat, they'll still stand by it if you encounter problems.

Depends on how much trust you have in what he says about the history...

Stealths and Tac Elites are not cheap guns, even used.

With what you say about it's condition and assuming he didn't "smith" his gun, I'd agree with KB that $1200.00 seems fair.

I pass on it if it were a LTWT frame (shorter life, more recoil, and aluminum feedramp that seems touchy with JHP ammo types). I seem to recall that Wilson recommeded 185 Gr. Silvertips be used for JHPs since this ammo type does the least damage to the feedramp on LTWTs.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This brings up an interesting point. Someone said that used Wilson's retain their value. $1200 for a gun that only has 600 rounds through it that originally cost $2800 and is only 1 year old seems like quite a hit! For kicks, I asked a local dealer what he would pay for a used steel SDS in 99% condition and he offered $1000. That is pretty laughable (even for a dealer) if there is even a shred of truth to the fact that a Wilson holds much its value... Maybe the CQB or some of the popular lower $$ models might do better.

If you can get the gun for $1200 or even $1500 I would jump on it, assuming its what you want. Unless the gun is a total factory reject it should be worth at least that! The little chip in the armor tuff and holster wear will happen fast on any Wilson if you use it at all. The trigger click, might be from not being cleaned or even being fully broken in. I had that and it disappeared after I detail stripped and cleaned the gun. The barrel and some of the moving parts will show "wear" from the day you get a new one. The armor tuff doesn't belong there anyways. A little grease and you're good to go! You can always recoat the gun and any malfunctions can be repaired by Wilson under warranty as long as it wasn't abused. If you have any doubts, take it and clean it yourself check it out and then offer him $50 less for the detail cleaning... If it doesn't pass muster then you just lost an hour or so practicing a detail strip! BTW the Stealth is a very easy gun to disassemble. All you need is an allen wrench (instead of a bushing wrench) to remove the front half of the two piece guide rod. The barrel slips right out the front and the rest is the same as any 1911.

H

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well seeing as I already have and carry my CQB 24-7 (well I try to anyway, my office doesn't allow weapons on the prop) I think the addition of a SDS for summer carry would be good! I talked to him last night and he said he'd meet me tonight after he got off duty to let me shoot it, strip it, inspect it. Price was not discussed although he just told me he has another Wilson Tactical Super grade that he thinks will be available for sale as well. He's not sure since this was his previous duty gun. He may sell it to another detective but he said its not looking good. I didn't ask how much he wanted for that one either but he said that one was just purchased in Jan. 03 (the month he found out his wife filed for a divorce). I told him to bring that one along as well for kicks so that I could check it out.

As for the SDS. The chip is on the frame - where the slide and frame meet towards the back (near the hammer). On the frame there is a small "chunk" missing w/exposed metal. I'm guessing that during firing the slide must have chipped it away? Also I'm kinda concerned that he never cleaned the thing from day one and IIRC the gun had caked in powder residue all in the slides and inside the barrel. Talk about neglect!!! I'm going to bring my cleaning kit and give it a once over before testing...

Man, I don't really understand how a divorce works (not even married yet) but it sounds like one big hassle. He has to sell his WHOLE gun collection as the cash needs to be divided between the two of them or something. Poor guy, he says he's depressed and doesn't even want to see another gun again!? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,897 Posts
What is fair is affected by the seller's reasons and buyers needs or wants.

Divorce is are can be emotionaly painful and very costly. I know of one store and another friends business that went under due to divorce. Lawyers are the only ones who benefited from that definitely not the former husband, wife and certainly not the children.

Prices are regional and many times are relative to the seller's reasons, i.e. need for funds (best reason I had from a customer to date is, "Dear, the sonogram showed twins not one" ) , time needed to sell, is the gun a dud, finance a new project, prices in the area, condition of course, and a host of other factors or reasons.

Gun retail and resale in a state with many restrictions such as New York, California and others many times go for a premium. Those states where you can buy or find anything the price point is much less i.e. Texas, Arizona, Nevada and others.

A guide line is something between 50% to 75% of retail depending on condition, documentation and who did what to the gun.

Keep in mind also that there is a risk in used of condition and follow up service. Wilson is very good for follow up service but if the price point between what you can buy the gun for new in your area and the cost is for any service you may or may not need you are doing well.

Keep in mind there are few other items made you can get anywhere near that percent of resale for full retail price such as appliances, cameras, or whatever.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well met up with the guy and I tried to field strip the SDS but the two piece guide rod would not come apart. Using the allen wrench I couldn't turn the front of the guide rod. It was "welded" shut. I also saw some rust on the inside of the barrel. Not much but its there. It was really hard to rack the slide. I think there is tons of lint and debris stuck in the slide rails... Grips were cracked as well. This gun is in bad shape and I wanted to punch this guy out! Its like letting your $130,000 Mercedes rust and go to crap! :eek:

Anyway I did fire 24rds of Federal American Eagle through it and it jammed like mad. Its got to be cleaned. I do not know why the guide rod wouldn't not come loose. I didn't want to apply too much pressure and break something... So I told him since its not really working properly how about $1000. he said he'd have to think it over. Can you believe this was his off duty gun? Yikes.

He let me try out the Tactical Super Grade and it is just like my CQB full size. I didn't see any difference. Shot fine w/no jams. At least this gun was cleaned!!!! It was his duty gun for the past year. Now he carries a Kimber Tactical Custom II. He wants $2000 for it but I don't want it. I'd rather get a brand new CQB again for that price. There really wasn't anything special about the Tac Super. Much holster wear towards muzzle and the grips are beat up or dinged up.

Oh well, I'll wait to hear from him. I'm kinda turned off about the SDS and figure I should stick to my CQB all year round as its proven its self and I know it works.... too good to be true right?

OH BTW, he bought the SDS used from someone off the 'net - so he did not buy it brand new! It has more than 600rds through it and who knows if the previous owner negleted it as well?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't know...:confused:

If your guts are telling you to walk, then I'd recommend you do the same. It definitely needs serious TLC to get it running.

Since he wasn't even the first owner, kind of hard to tell the history on the gun.

Regret, you'll easily get over for passing on this...buyers remorse will be a lot worse...:)

I've seen used SDSs before... just keep your eyes peeled and save your money. Who knows what pistol you'll come across next.;)

If you're still interested in the deal, just understand what you're getting into...and seriously, good luck on the deal.:)

·
Super Moderator
1,897 Posts
The comments from the above poster should be considered closely

Remember the old saying. If is sounds too good to be true...............?????????????

Someone told me once to buy the object not the price. He followed up with the best price is not the best value.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd pass on this deal. All you will be doing is shelling out a grand for a problem pistol. It has obviously been neglected and doesn't function properly.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
I'd buy it sight-unseen for $1K. You'll spend nearly that much for a new Colt 70, and still have a crap-shoot. What could be wrong? If you can't see any glaring problems, it's most likely grunge related. Even if a small part or two needs replaced, you're still money ahead if you're wanting a pistol of this type.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well met up with the guy again and I declined the offer for $1000.

He was able to get the SDS apart but get this, he lost the front part of the guide rod and the recoil spring and buffer... uh, don't ask he said he lost them this afternoon while trying to take it apart. He had no explanation and was avoiding my question (hey he's the investigator!)

Further inspection of the barrel with a bore light showed lots of rust inside. The chamber is filled with caked in residue that is and rust. When I took the grips off the gun the right grip broke - and it wasn't my fault!!!! It was cracked from the inside and when I took the screw off and tried prying off the grip, the back of the grip just splintered. Feed ramp needed to be cleaned big time... the other very odd thing upon close inspection was the mainspring housing was not stock... looked like someone put a different one on as it didn't match the gun when you looked closely.

Well, I don't know who let this beauty go to hell, the detective or the previous owner. Probably both of them. They should be ashamed of themselves! At least his Tac Super Grade was in tip top shape (I should hope so, it was his duty gun!!!!) but I'm not in the market for one - what he's asking for it I could get a NIB compact CQB.

Oh well I passed it and I feel good.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I hate to say it, but if the gun was really as bad as all that, it sounds almost like a scam! BTW, the SDS doesn't use a buffer... And none of the damage is warrantable as it is complete abuse and neglect. I think that is a second degree felony in Arkansas!

H :mummy:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the strangest thing is that he "lost" the spring/guide rods. I didn't understand that. This guy is a LEO and well... I'm kinda surprised at his attitude. Maybe the divorce is making him desperate? He just called my voice mail and said, "How about $800" I still do not want it - it was in bad shape and plus - I like my CQB and its what I'm use to carrying so I'd spend that money on ammo and practice.... strange very strange...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems to me that you could send it in to Wilson and spend a few hundred bucks and have a really nice gun for cheap. But, I can understand your feelings toward the CQB. I've said before that my love for the CQB has cooled my desire for everything else. But $800?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it was his sudden attitude to "get rid of it at any cost" that struck my gut. Just weird. When I did test fire it the thing jammed on almost every round. I don't know... just something didn't feel right about it.

I'm sticking to my CQB...

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
Offer him $1500 for both pistols. Have one nice shooter and one great project gun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts