1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok read the FAQ brownells trigger thing. Not going to do all their work, but saw the numbers and was thinking for what I want a 3.0-3.8 lb trigger pull I could get it done on my RIA.

Well did some light polishing.

new wolff spring kit, as in replaced all the springs (new to me firearm so I figure good idea, safety feels a lot more secure now, +4 inches on the pencil test, good improvement)

middle tine was at 14 ounces which according to the brownells thing was too light, I just left it alone, figured whatever. Couldn't get the left tine below well included below 40 ounces. If it went below that I'd get hammer follow....

Do I need a different type of sear spring. Or is a stock RIA hammer/sear incapable of giving me a 3.5 lb triggerl. Right now got it as low as I could at a short, crisp but 4.5 lb trigger pull which I think I ought to get slightly better than.

Its always possible I"m bending the sear spring wrong so if someone wants to give me detailed instruction on that I bet I'd learn something.

Thanks in advance yall have really helped me out up to this point.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
C&S offers a reduced weight sear spring...
believe me, it works good.:)
so it would stay in the right place at a lighter weight sounds awesome. I guess I just took the brownells right up at its word to use wolff springs. Of course I couldn't find any non standard wolff sear spring.

thank you.

Ok everyone I have this link. Is there a way for me to accomplish this tonight/tomorrow morning so I can get under 4 lbs to shoot tomorrow? http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=63 for that matter even if I must get this, would someone please explain how you adjust your sear springs so I don't F up another one. Because logically I think if I had adjusted this one (it started at 5.2) I could have gotten to 4.0.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
bend the middle finger back slightly to reduce sear pressure.
I guess I don't understand what lightening that would do for me... I got two sears I'll try it on teh more messed up one. The link I was following said they should be even the two tines, and the middle one is already a lot lighter than the left one.

just did it... EDIT nvm got hammer follow again.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Sear spring and trigger pull weight

Obtaining a good, clean trigger pull is a function of having the proper angles for the hammer hook and sear nose engagement. If this is not correct to start, then bending the sear spring may not allow you to get to a 3.5 pound pull.

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
Originally Posted by zdragon52
"bend the middle finger back slightly to reduce sear pressure."

The left side leaf adjusts sear tension, the middle adjusts disconnector/trigger tension. Both effect total pull weight.

If the hammer follow occurs when dropping the slide, then it is most likely
trigger bump and will require middle leaf adjustment to eliminate the hammer follow. If the hammer follow is with the trigger depressed, then the left leaf would required tensioning.

As mentioned, those sear/hammer angles have a world of effect on pull and lockwork stability. You may consider a sear jig with instructions and good stones. You may have effected those angles when you polished them.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
+1 what Magnumite and RichPetrone said.

Trigger pulls aren't solely based on sear spring "tweaking". Hammer hooks and sear angles need to be right before you'll see any noticeable difference. SAFETY could/will be compromised if you "basement gunsmith" these parts.

If tweaking the spring was all it took, there'd be a LOT of "professional gunsmiths" out of a job.
When you're done and think it's "range ready", start off with 1 rd at a time for several shots, then go to 2 rds at a time for several more, and always when testing some new work....

KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. Be careful and safe. Tracy

·
Registered
651 Posts
And the trigger itself needs to be light in weight. Spring pressures, smoothness of contact surfaces and bearings pins, the frame cut for the trigger bow, all have an effect on the quality and weight of trigger pull and what can be safely done.

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
bend the middle finger back slightly to reduce sear pressure.
Not hardly Z that is bad/false information.:confused:

To those interested. The C&S sear spring is a genuine Colt sear spring and the one EGW supplies and is my choice also. Very reasonable when bought as a Colt part.

When adjusting the sear spring for a light pull there is a limit for the center leaf and that is whatever resists trigger bounce. The leaf leaf is sear pressure and the center is trigger return/disconnect.

LOG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts