1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference in application for 3-finger sear spring and the 4-finger leaf spring? Can this 2 types of sear springs be used interchangeably in 1911 type pistols?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Roland,

The four-finger sear-spring is supposed to be interchangeable with the 3-finger type. Since the middle finger is split up into two, it helps make the trigger pull a lot softer or at least it has in my case. I replaced my stock 3-finger sear spring with a four-finger Kings.

Some people say that four-finger springs are more fragile than the normal 3-finger but so far mine has held up pretty well for the past three months. I had to do a little filing and contouring to make the new spring fit like the old one. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
67 Posts
A split disconnector leaf ?? Sounds like it would be worth a try !!! Can someone please furnish a link to King's Parts ??

Regards

·
Registered
9,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
Hi,

Jim Clark used this spring. I think he may be the individual who developed it also. It was used to keep the hammer from following the slide (to half cock notch) when using light pulls on earlier match guns using stock hammers and sears and the coresponding geometries. I have installed a couple in my guns and it does work. If you are working toward a trigger with under a 3.25 pull then you may also need a light weight trigger to prevent trigger bump and the subsequent hammer following the slide to half cock.

I adjust the leaves in this order: 1. trigger bow leaf; 2. disconnector leaf; 3. sear leaf. I generally adjust a little more tension on the trigger bow since it is what causes the disconnector to move when dropping the slide or during slide return to battery when cycling. And I always make sure the sear leaf has adequate tension from its leaf.

Brownell's website has a nice Technical section on how to achieve lower weight pulls. Use their procedures and specs to achieve the unloaded pull weight (no mainspring pressure) when adjusting your spring. You will have to go back a couple of months to find the article on adjusting the trigger pull weight. You can use the information there to adjust the spring to your desired pull weight.

Magnumite

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I used the four finger springs at one time but I had a couple of problems with them.
1. They do break, its normally the finger that rides on the trigger bow that breaks.
2. I also received some springs that were a little short and the finger that rides on the trigger bow would slip under the bow and hold the trigger to the rear.
I now use three finger springs for all my trigger jobs and I've set trigger pulls as light as 1.5 pounds with three finger springs.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Im with my fellow smith here

90 uspsa nationals I think it was, the 4 leaf makes the seen and 11 guys I think it was had problems with hammer follow and doubling.
Cyl and slide was the "official gunsmith"
and replaced them with std 3 leaf, to the best of my knowledge all finished with out incident.

Personally not a fan.
Yes on the light trigger sure.
and the new spring with the center and left leaf lightened Yes, these help!

2 years ago there was a "batch" of sear springs making the rounds that the center leaf was short. wonder if that is where the short one came from Bob?

And how many times do I have to tell you 1.5 is too light for a cary gun

geo ><>

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi George,
Two years ago was about the correct time frame when I was having the problems with the sear springs. They were all of the four finger type and the finger that rest on the trigger bow would drop under the bow and hold the trigger to the rear and would not let it return I had several that did this.
Darn now I'm going to have to retune all my trigger pulls on my carry guns, I know you told me George but I'm a slow learner.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts