1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
central michigan area im willing to drive for a good smith i dont know of any in the area right now.

anyone know of any?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I don't know where in Michigan he is, but....

..I highly recommend Ned Christiansen of Michiguns.
I've seen his works of art at the 1911 SSC match and they are all AWESOME guns!!! :) :)
You can send him a PM, just do a search on user name.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, right now i just want some little stuff done and i need my model 66's timing fixed.

im tempted to try doing it myself but im not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
creepyrat said:
thanks, right now i just want some little stuff done and i need my model 66's timing fixed.

im tempted to try doing it myself but im not sure yet.
Oh, I see. Try visiting your local library, they might have some gunsmithing book that you can use as a guide. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Where are you?

I can recommend:

Bruce McArthur
c/o Flint & Frizzen Gunshop
8735 Dixie Highway
Clarkston, MI 48348

248-625-3333

·
Registered
261 Posts
I second Bruce McArthur, a GREAT gunsmith, he has always done first rate work on all of my guns and fixed problems caused by other gunsmiths when purchasing used guns that have been "tinkered" with.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, im in the area between cadillca and big rapids,

im 45 minutes away from jays sporting goods, has anyone ever used there gunsmithing services?

i think my 66 was tinkered with by the previous owner i have to unlighten the trigger pull a bit and get the timing fixed and have it looked over just to make sure its good to go.

i would like to get a fp stop and ambi safety done to but i think i may try that my self after reading all the very helpful posts here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Jays would be extremely expensive versus Ned or Bruce. Both of them are great gunsmiths and nice to talk to. Got to know both a little at Second Chance in Years past. Paul

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just thinking out loud......You might want to call the Michigan State Police in your area and see if they have an armorer/gunsmith at their post. I think before the Michigan State Police went to Sig 226's they carried S&W m19's or m66's? If they do have one and he's an oldtimer he might be happy to fix you up but then again there might be some policy about not working on civilians guns? but it might be worth a try. I just bought a M66-3 from the Oakland County Sheriffs dept. all of them being sold off had been checked out by their armorer and mine is as good and tight as the day it was issued other than lots of holster wear.

·
Registered
452 Posts
in Saginaw

my Dad used Dick Williams to work on a couple of his duty guns a few years ago, he was mentioned in another thread here recently also. And he goes way back with Bruce McArthur

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good idea with the police, i know some of them a bit, ill see if they have an armorer and if they have any policies about it.

my 66 is as old as me lol it was made in 77 and i got it this year and wore it right out lol. timing is a bit off after 2k rounds of .38 and 400 rounds of .357's

its had allot of use and looks like it may have been a duty weapon at one time.

i love the gun its a sweet shooter with a beautyful trigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts