1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

I was directed here from some friends over at http://www.sigforum.com/. I own a few sigs and a wheel gun but I am currently searching for a nice 1911. My father swears by his Kimbers but I am interested in just about everything. I would like something with a nice short and smooth trigger. It needs to be very reliable with all types of ammo and as accurate as I can get.

I dont have a set price range but would like to keep it under 1100 if possible for a NIB. If I can find a 1911 that has what I need for 700 bucks then great. I bought a M1911 buyers hanguide magazine, but all it did was make me want about 12 different 1911 models, so I figured I would ask the experts here.

So for a first 1911 what should I get? I would use it mainly at the shooting range, generally bi-weekly, and during deer season if need be. Thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
My suggestion is a S&W SW1911. It seems at the moment they're the most consistent regarding reliability and overall quality control.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
dsk said:
My suggestion is a S&W SW1911. It seems at the moment they're the most consistent regarding reliability and overall quality control.
Based on my recent experience I second that recommendation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i agree S&W is one good choice. strongly recommend 5" for first 1911. don't spend more than 900 for first 1911. spend the big bucks for the second and etc.

i own a S&W 1911 blue and many SA "loaded" and a SA mil spec modified (beavertail and ext thumb safety).

if you want a beavertail and ext thumb safety, S&W or SA "loaded" would be a good first 1911. for GI style, a SA "GI", mil spec, or Colt 1991 or repro series 70. approx prices 800 S&W, 700 loaded, 400 -500 gi or milspec, 700 1991, 900 repro series 70.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am certain I would want the beavertail and ext thumb safty. Any particular S&W models I should look at?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any of the S&W 1911's. For the money you can't beat their reliability. I own a 1911SC and I have not had any issues with it.
A S&W 1911 should cost $750.00-900.00 with the options you are looking at. The S&W website list suggested retail prices, you will pay a lot less.
The #108285 is a new version that has no front serrations. It looks very clean and classic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have the one cocop mentions, 108285 on the S&W web site. i think they call it the blue model. it has no front cocking serrations, and i prefer it that way. also it has a standard gi guide rod and plug, which i also prefer. so i got one. shoots accurately. no failures with 800 rounds 230 ball and 230 hp (rem gs). i paid 800, but you might find it for a bit less. i am very happy with mine. it would be a good first 1911. if you don't mind or prefer front serrations, SA loaded would be a good choice. see their web site for various models in 5 inch. don't get lightweight for first 1911.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why not! if you are willing to spend 1,100.00 save some extra pennies and get a Les Baer for a little over $1,300.00 in the type of gun and purpose you are wanting it for. With Baer quality fit and finish a Kart barrel, I think a Baer would make a perfect range gun for you for the money. Baer's are known for there accuracy.

I can't seem to add the page of the Baer's I am talking about but if you go to www.saintlouisarms.com and do a gun search, look up Les Baer pistols and search for the type and features you are wanting.

Look at the,

LBP0101 - National Match @ 1,341.95

LBP2302 - Premier II @ 1,325.95

LBP8002 - Concept III @ 1,372.00

I would take a good, long, hard, look at them. Compare them to others you are looking at, read on the forums of each brand you are looking at with problems that others are having and I think you will see that the extra $ would be well spent.

For the price the Baer is the best value for your money out there.

You did say you were looking for the right 1911!

Good luck...........:rock:

For better pictures of the guns and more info I would also go to Baer's website www.lesbaer.com

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would go for the SA Mil-Spec - for around $500, you can't get wrong (and don't forget the spare $$ for upgrade)! :cool:

·
Registered
997 Posts
You know, it's a tough call . You could get a flawless Kimber , or a SA , but on the other hand you could have problems . Hell , you could have problems with anything . I had VERY good luck with a S&W 1911 SC , but I recommended one to a friend and he got a lemon . I have to say , Smith Customer Service was outstanding , paid shipping and threw in some free extras . Nevertheless , if you can manage it , I really think the best thing you could do is to buy a new or used Les Baer or Wilson . If used , try to find one like new. You'll save a ton , and if it happens to be a Wilson , they don't care if you're the original owner or not , they'll fix your gun ! Baer's customer service seems to be a little more problematic, but they seem to be improving. With a Baer , chances of needing service are slim . Baer's aren't even broken in for about 1500 rounds , so you can often buy a used one that still needs more rounds downrange to be fully liquid , or loose . They never get loose :biglaugh: . That was a poor choice of words but you get the idea :) .Good luck...Tom

P.S. I just found this . This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976619661.htm
Here's another great one:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976616359.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help!

I have seen several Les Baer but never shot one, and I hear NOTHING but good things about them. Right now I have about $650 stashed in my sock drawer just waiting to be spent. In another month or so I should be able to save a total of around 900-950 to be spent on a 1911. One virtue I never learned was patience. I would love to buy a top of the line 1911 because I know I will love the gun. I have shot all my fathers kimbers (11 of them) and like them all. They are a great gun and they have some lower models that sell for close to $1000 I believe. I am sure I will end up buying several 1911's in my lifetime, but I would like to start fairly high on the quality ladder.

Is buying a Les Baer worth the extra money? I am sure I would enjoy a nice S&W 1911 for around $800, but do you think I will enjoy a top quality that much more for another $400? I had a similar situation with my guitars. I bought a low quality acoustic for a couple hundred bucks. Then a year later bought a mid range for $700 bucks. Then finally bought a Tayloe for about $2300. If I had bought the Taylor FIRST, I could have saved my self alot of money. Is this the same case? Should I just wait and buy a top notch right outta the box or should I buy a nice mid level and save up for a Les Baer years down the road?

Thanks again for your help guys! I feel alot better talking to you then the guys at the local gun store here who are only trying to sell guns from their own safe at a $400 profit ;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think you just ought to jump out and get a nice semi-custom to start with that is where you will end up anyway! (I did, and I believe it is a common affliction). Look at Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk and offerings from the Springfield Custom shop. I doubt you would be disappointed with any of these

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes it is worth it! and yes it is the same thing as your guitar scenario. Just keep saving, the only thing you will regret is not buying the nicer gun the first time. If you can throw down a couple thou on some wood and strings and see the value, you will nodoubt see the value in the semi-custom 1911 world.

Your move..............

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love my S&W, however I carry a Les Baer Concept VII for my duty gun.

Here is what I did ith my S&W.
800.00 S&W 1911SC
100.00 duty tune and trigger work.
80.00 night sights.
60.00 ambi safety.
1040.00 total cost with custom work.

My latest 1911 is my Les Baer I paid 1300.00. I feel that the extra 250.00 is well spent on a Les Baer.

I am looking to purchase another 1911, however, I need a light rail. The Les Baer Recon is $3,000.00 which is out of the question.

If you can wait I would go with the LesBaer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for Les Baer. I love mine and it's been very reliable and very accurate. People who I let shoot it also rave about it. I also believe that they are a good value. Jump into the Les Baer section for more information about them.

Tedster

·
Registered
346 Posts
Let me play Devil's Advocate – if you start low (like the SA Mil-Spec), then later you will appreciate the good stuff – like the Wilson, ED or LB.

Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you do start low it will just put you farther away financially from what you will end up with anyway. Jump on a semi custom you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Lets put into terms a guitar player can understand. Would you rather have a Fender Squire or a Gibson Les Paul. 1911's follow the same lines with a few exceptions. P.S. not ment as a insult I play a little too. In other words you get what you pay for in quality. As far as patience , I'm in the same boat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts