1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
My personal preference is the Sebenza. That's what I carry everyday. It is so well made. However the Strider also has the frame lock which I believe is a more secure locking mechanism.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
SNG all the way.... feels much better in the hand that the Sebenza . I love my Commander but the SnG is getting EDC now....much stronger ....with a Commander or Karambit as backup...

I prefer to carry 2 knives as a backup to my 45.

although when the HD7 is debuted that could very well replace my Commander or Karambit...

a framelock Emerson :cool:

·
Banned
967 Posts
I'm carrying the 3rd model all black SnG as the EDC since I got it.

I would not trust a linerlock as backup weapon. If it's being used as backup, the scenario has turned ugly, thats not the time to be relying on the linerlock [ IMO ].

The Sebenza would do, but the ergos on the SnG make it a better fighter for me.

The Sebbie just has never done that much for me as a defensive weapon.

When I get the MARSOC Striders, one will become the EDC, the SnG as backup. Both as backup to the glock 30 or s+w 640-1 .357

John T., great picture of two defenders.

Brownie

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's a great looking picture, John T.

By the way, brownie - is the MARSOC Strider issued to the MARSOC Marines?

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Banned
967 Posts
The MARSOCs are serial numbered to the SOC Marines by Strider.

They are having civilian versions made with duplicate numbers in limited quantity for purchase.

A portion of the civilian price will go to help defray the cost to the Marines, in other words, by purchasing a numbered MARSOC you are supporting the marine unit thats getting theirs.

I have two on order, both serial numbered. Hey, what can I say, when I was a Marine in 69-71 we never had the chance to own something like this.

It's my way of supporting my brothers in arms who fight while we sleep peacefully in our beds at night here in the states.

Brownie

·
Registered
407 Posts
SnG

I'd go SnG all the way....and I do, every day. the s30v on the sng is real well done, i think the heat treat on the s30v is a little "softer" on the sebenzas. I've used the sng on my job to pry sheet metal on cars, cut tough fender liners off of tires so a car can drive and other assorted stuff. works great. sebenza is a great tool as well. i like the commanders, however they are not as utilitarian as the sng or sebenza...plus if you pull it out in a crowd to do something you will get more looks than a plain jane sebenza or a cool sng. i would not hesitate to carry a sebenza or a sng..but if you need one of those for defense, you are in some deep poop brother!

as for tanto or spearpoint, i find tanto's easier to keep sharp and may have an edge with a defensive knife. also the primary edge on the tanto is straight, as opposed to the curved edge on the spearpoint. that being said, i still carry a spearpoint. because it's what MattD had in stock at the time.

cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
407 Posts
there are so far 3 models of SnG's...i've heard they will be 4 models, but am unsure.
1st model had tiger stripes, (for the most pars, a few were just bead blasted), swirled green and black g10 with the ti side anodized in a real cool swirl camo patterns. I have spearpoint #46 of this run...
2nd run had black g10 (smooth) and stonewashed /tumbled blades. The ti side was tumbled as well. these knives make good users, as they show pretty much no wear.
3rd run is the latest, it has black g10 that is grippy like that on the AR/GB folders and the EB series...blade (tanto and spear) are a black oxide, as is the ti side for a totally black knife.

there are a few odd lots in all the different runs...for example mine has a polished clip instead of the matte finish-which makes the swirls look cool...I think there are only 2 like this. some of the 1st runs may have a dark anodized ti with no swirl...i guess it depends on what "the guys" feel like doing at the time they are done. keep in mind all these knives are essentially hand made and hand fitted.
if you want a user that can go with you everywhere, that is dependable as it gets, you can't beat a SnG in my opinion.
cheers,
Derek

·
Banned
967 Posts
SteveW13:

dwenslen answered your question and listed the other models and their configurations very well indeed.

Mine looks like John T Wylie Jr's with the spearpoint, but mine is all black and titanium with no fireforming on the Ti side [ it's actually a matte grey looking finish ].

My MARSOC x 2 will look like John T's configuration but it is somewhat bigger than the SnG models.

Brownie

·
Registered
407 Posts
also some SnG's of whatever config have "traction dimples" on the ti side...mine do...but it seems ones that do and don't are completely at random.

i wished i'd held out for an all black one, but the ver 1 is a little more kindler, gentler, softer strider to bring out and use in front of knife people.

i've gotten weird questions about the tiger stripes. i just told them it was nothing, i just needed to clean the blade.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess i'm with everyone else...I have a strider model 1 spearpoint sng #54 that I'm in love with...it never leaves my side.... get one, you won't be dissapointed!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the small sebenza. I've carried it for over a year. It has the most solid feel to it of any knife I've owned. The S30V steel holds an edge a long time.

I'm big into customer service also. Can't comment on the other blades, but with CRK, the service, by almost all accounts, is superb.

I'd recommend going to a knife store and examining each one in person. You'll know.

·
Registered
407 Posts
if the sebenza was made in a size between the small and large sebenza i'd carry one more. carried a large for over a year and a small for about the same. large was a bit too much, and small was a bit small for me. the ergs of the SnG fit me just right.

the Reeve's are top notch nice people-customer service is great and people don't come any nicer than Chris and Anne.

cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John,

Is that your SnG in that picture? What's with the frame? I thought they were titanium on one side and G10 on the other?

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts