1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, bought a new Micro Carry to take the place of an old series 80 steel frame Colt Mustang that I have had forever. It's basically the same gun, with a couple of feature (including being a Kimber) that made it worth it to me to upgrade. The trigger does appear to be a bit heavier than the Colt, but is way less mushy and has a much better break....I'll find out how it shoots tomorrow, planning on heading out into the desert in the morning...

Lon

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Congratulations!

I carry a Micro Raptor and it's a great gun.

The Kimber's have much better sights than my Mustang Plus IIs or my Government .380s, but the Colts have lighter and crisper triggers.
Not that the Kimber trigger is bad, but the Colt's are better.
I need to get a trigger gauge to measure them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, put about 120 rounds downrange this morning (mixed bag of ball, Lehigh extreme penetrator, starfire HP, Buffalo Bore +p hollowpoints. I do have to say that I am not really all that impressed.

The good: sights pretty good, accurate as all get out, no creep or mushiness in the trigger. Trigger break is superb, takes you by surprise every time when it lets go.

The bad:

1) Failures to lock back on the last round. I thought it was just on the two Colt magazines that I had, but on the last magazine I fired, which was the Kimber mag, same thing. The colt mags are terrible when I checked the operation with the slide removed and slide release pin in place with empty mag. I will use them as range only mags. The Kimber mag appeared to work properly, so I will pay close attention next trip out.

2) A couple failures to extract. Inexcusable Kimber.

3) One failure to feed. This was with a Buffalo Bore HP. I'm not sure what bullet they used in it, but you could put your foot in the hole in the front, so I'm going to chalk this one up to ammo.

4) One stovepipe with a ball round.

5) 7lb trigger? I don't think so, more like 10-12. I don't have a guage, but will try to borrow one to check it, although it is not that great of an issue with the super clean break and smooth pull.

I had cleaned and lubed (per the manual, which I thought seemed dripping wet) prior to going out. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and will not worry about it too much until I've put a couple hundred more down range, but I don't think the failure to extract will fix itself with breaking, even if the rest of the problems might. We'll see.......

YMMV

Lon

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I would say try shooting it some more and see if the gun settles in.
If it doesn't, send it back to Kimber.
It has a warranty and they'll make it right.
I actually sent my Micro Raptor in (Kimber paid all shipping costs) and it has been 100% since it came back.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the plan. I will be taking it out for more range time. I did note to myself, that I use a high thumb forward grip and due to the small size of the gun, my right thumb may be resting on the top of the slide release preventing it from engaging the slide on the last round. I will be paying close attention to everything on the next range trip Monday or Tuesday.......

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, life got in the way, but finally made it back out today. Sure enough, the problem with not locking back on last round was my grip. I just need to make sure that I train myself to place my thumb at the top of the slide stop, but put NO pressure on it.......Now, on to the bad. It started to lock back on EVERY round. Not good :confused:

When I got home, I took a look at it. When the slide stop was removed, it didn't look right to me, and I couldn't get the tab on the slide stop under the spring when putting the gun back together. Turns out the slide stop spring is bent. I confirmed this by comparing to a Colt Mustang .380 that I have. Soooooo, let's see how Customer service handles this........

A call to Kimber got me Alan on the phone who was very helpful, and agreed to send me a spring, rather than send the gun in for a $.29 spring :)

So, bottom line is, the jury is still out until the slide stop spring issue is fixed.

I'm not willing to beat up Kimber for the spring. It is possible that I did it when I put the gun back together after lubing it for the range, although, I have taken apart and put back together my Mustang a bunch of times and never bent that spring. I fully believe the spring was just not shaped correctly and it got missed at QC.

Will update this thread when the spring arrives, is installed, and gun fired again....

Lon

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't have experience with the Kimber Micros, but I do with the Sig P238. I can tell you that these smaller guns do not like the Buffalo Bore rounds too well. My belief is it not really the bullet, but the hotter round that causes the gun not to cycle and feed properly. I have ran a lot of ammo through mine and that is the only ammo it would not cycle correctly. I shot that same ammo through my Dad's Bersa and it seemed to eat it just fine.

I really like my little Sig P238 and carry it often. I had the first generation gun and it was eventually replaced by Sig cause it would not reliably function on any ammo. The second one has been completely reliable with many brands of ammo. Had the Kimber Micro been out back then, I would have went that route.

I hope it gets worked out, as they are nice guns to carry especially for carry in a cargo pocket or in summertime shorts. I also like to carry mine when I ride my mountain bike or motorcycle as it very lightweight and easy to carry when active.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well, put about 120 rounds downrange this morning (mixed bag of ball, Lehigh extreme penetrator, starfire HP, Buffalo Bore +p hollowpoints. I do have to say that I am not really all that impressed.

The good: sights pretty good, accurate as all get out, no creep or mushiness in the trigger. Trigger break is superb, takes you by surprise every time when it lets go.

The bad:

1) Failures to lock back on the last round. I thought it was just on the two Colt magazines that I had, but on the last magazine I fired, which was the Kimber mag, same thing. The colt mags are terrible when I checked the operation with the slide removed and slide release pin in place with empty mag. I will use them as range only mags. The Kimber mag appeared to work properly, so I will pay close attention next trip out.

3) One failure to feed. This was with a Buffalo Bore HP. I'm not sure what bullet they used in it, but you could put your foot in the hole in the front, so I'm going to chalk this one up to ammo.

5) 7lb trigger? I don't think so, more like 10-12. I don't have a guage, but will try to borrow one to check it, although it is not that great of an issue with the super clean break and smooth pull.

I had cleaned and lubed (per the manual, which I thought seemed dripping wet) prior to going out. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and will not worry about it too much until I've put a couple hundred more down range, but I don't think the failure to extract will fix itself with breaking, even if the rest of the problems might. We'll see.......

YMMV

Lon

Per one of your posts, you acknowledge that you may have caused the spring damage.

Not all ejectors like all cartridges. It sounds like you micro eats a lot of different ammo. That's not true of all pistols, so that is a plus.

As you suggest, I would not use the Colt mags. See if you continue to have lock back issues with the Kimber mag.

You have a lot of changing variables here. Mags, ammunition, break-in, spring issue (which may be self-inflicted). I don't know how you could possibly debug it, or even know if there ARE any bugs before you give it a reasonable break-in. Why not leave everything the same for another 200 rounds. If everything is working at that point, introduce variables.

Just my humble opinion, but its way too soon to be thinking about sending it back to the factory. I bought two Wilson Combat 9mm's a few months back and I wanted to cry over both of them until I got 200 rounds through them, and now they are rock solid. (This was not true of their .45s)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

The bad:

YMMV

Lon

Manual says not to use +P.
It also says not to use ammunition other than that for which the pistol was designed.

"Do not use +P+ ammunition because its pressures could exceed SAAMI maximums and result in an unsafe condition that may cause death, serious injury or property damage."

Per one of your posts, you acknowledge that you may have caused the spring damage.

Not all ejectors like all cartridges. It sounds like you micro eats a lot of different ammo.

As you suggest, I would not use the Colt mags. See if you continue to have lock back issues with the Kimber mag.

You have a lot of changing variables here. Mags, ammunition, break-in, spring issue (which may be self-inflicted). I don't know how you could possibly debug it, or even know if there ARE any bugs before you give it a reasonable break-in. Why not leave everything the same for another 200 rounds. If everything is working at that point, introduce variables.

Just my humble opinion, but its way too soon to be thinking about sending it back to the factory. I bought two Wilson Combat 9mm's a few months back and I wanted to cry over both of them until I got 200 rounds through them, and now they are rock solid. (Their .45s were perfect from the first round)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I would dust this off and update it.

Manual says not to use +P.
It also says not to use ammunition other than that for which the pistol was designed.

"Do not use +P+ ammunition because its pressures could exceed SAAMI maximums and result in an unsafe condition that may cause death, serious injury or property damage."
From the manual: Although this Kimber firearm is capable of functioning with +P ammunition in the appropriate caliber for the firearm, a steady diet of +P ammunition may affect the wear characteristics, shorten the life and endurance of your firearm, and necessitate more frequent maintenance and replacement of parts. Do not use +P+ ammunition.

Maybe a change from earlier builds?

Yep, I did state that. I talked to Customer Service at Kimber, and told them of the issues I had been having and that the spring was bent. I admitted that it was possible that I bent it. They agreed to send me a new spring.

Not all ejectors like all cartridges. It sounds like you micro eats a lot of different ammo.
You are right on this one, might be an ammo thing. Think I'll just see what happens and take notes on brand should it happen again.

The colt magazines are working well and all else is resolved now. As stated above, Kimber agreed to send me a spring. Two weeks after they promised and it still hadn't arrived, I called back and they said they had sent it, but sent another one. No big deal here, either someone dropped the ball, or it got lost in shipping. Shiite happens.......

When the spring arrived, Murphy reared his ugly head. I disassembled the gun and worked my dental too under the spring. When pulling it upward (frame lying on the right side), the dental tool slipped away from the bend in the spring where it turned 90 degrees to go into the frame, and, of course, the spring broke. There was not much left of it sticking out of the frame, and I decided to not chance causing additional problems by trying to remove the stub.

I called Kimber again, and explained what had happened. While telling me that they may not be able to warranty it, they sent a shipping label anyway and asked me to send it in. When he told me possibly not warranty, I told him that I could understand that, and at this point it doesn't matter, I just need it to be fixed.

Two and a half weeks later (including both ways shipping), the gun was returned to me fixed, at no charge. A hundred rounds downrange and all is well. The only issues were one failure to lock back on last round (totally my fault, had my thumb resting firmly on the slide stop) and one light strike. I'm not ready to worry about the light strike yet, I'm thinking the Sellier and Bellot just has hard primers. If it continues to happen, I might need to address it.

All in all, I think it is a keeper and two thumbs up for Kimber customer service :).

YMMV

Lon

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Yesterday, still wasn't totally comfortable with the way the slide returned to battery. It just didn't have a good solid feel to it, kinda felt like the spring was struggling to close the slide. Today, took it apart again and did a simple hand polish on the feed ramp with a q tip and some blue magic metal polish. :rock: what a difference that simple little thing can make! Hit the slide release and it picks up the first round and settles into battery with authority!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yesterday, still wasn't totally comfortable with the way the slide returned to battery. It just didn't have a good solid feel to it, kinda felt like the spring was struggling to close the slide. Today, took it apart again and did a simple hand polish on the feed ramp with a q tip and some blue magic metal polish. :rock: what a difference that simple little thing can make! Hit the slide release and it picks up the first round and settles into battery with authority!
Got rid of a Colt to get a Kimber??????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts