1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doh! I knew that. I did a search on Commander and that one came up. I guess I should have looked at it closer before I tried posting the link here.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Just found one at a local shop someone traded in. A Stainless XS. I did a search on Auctionarms and gunbroker and came up wiyh about six for sale. Unfortunately they were all XSE. Most people don't know the difference.Then I went to gunsamerica and found a few of them, a little pricey for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lightweight XS Commanders are on gunsamerica.com right now. Quite pricey ($849), but they're the real deal. They come from Valley Fire Arms at 203-924-5650.

I bought one today. I'll be shooting it Friday. Three left as on noon.

------------------
The Humongously Adventuresome * E the B *

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I have one, but you can't have it

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have one, too. Nice gun. Recently changed the grip safety. Didn't like the feel of the original, so I went with a S&A. Feels good now. Also went to a Brown mag release. The original was too shallow and caused me to have to move my hand position too much when releasing the magazine. All that's left to do is put on a set of Straigh Eights and I'll be set!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
Other than the sights and grip safety, are the XSE and XS the same? About the only complaints I've heard about the XS are concerning the sights and the beavertail; if you get an XSE, you can have whatever sights and beavertail you want.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by RickB:
Other than the sights and grip safety, are the XSE and XS the same? About the only complaints I've heard about the XS are concerning the sights and the beavertail; if you get an XSE, you can have whatever sights and beavertail you want.
XSE guns don't have extended ambis, only a single short thumb safety.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
984 Posts
Don't know how true it is, but many people have said the XS was built better than the XSE. I don't have any personal experience with the XSE to say one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Between the XS and XSE, I'd say that the overall quality is pretty comparable; what differs (greatly) is the parts used to assemble them.

XS models had a full array of upgraded "Colt Competition" parts installed (extended thumb safety, humped grip safety, etc.) which seemed to be fairly popular with most shooters. These parts were also used in many of the pre-XS "enhanced" MK IVs.

After contract difficulties resulted in a severance between Colt's and the Colt Competition (aka C-More) folks, Hartford was forced to go back to the parts bins to produce the XSE.

IMO, if you plan to use it as a base gun, the XSE is a great choice; if, however, you want to keep the gun more-or-less box stock, the XS is worth the extra time and money.

Chuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts