1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just took an early Pro-Carry in on trade and I'm thinking I may want it. I can't buy it however at this time. It's an earlier gun with no firing pin lock mechanism, in very nice shape, all blued with original grips and a 3" barrel. I'm actually thinking of selling my Classic Stainless LE or trading it to him. He has priced the Pro-Carry at $565. Would you make the trade, sell your Classic Stainless and then buy the Pro-Carry, or should I just keep what I have ??? I'm thinking of carrying this gun obviously, I just am rather new to Kimbers and don't know what to do. Thanks, Shooman
My Classic Stainless LE :

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
A pre-series II Pro Carry is a highly desirable gun. Like Jim said, it's a 4" bbl on a full sized frame, which lends itself quite nicely to a bobtail job. You've got a target model, are you wanting to trade off for a carry gun? $565 is a great deal, I'd consider keeping your gun and buying this one if possible. ***edit***

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Keep what you have man! What are you really gaining with a Pro-Carry? Lighter weight and shorter barrel are the pros, is this a huge deal? How about the con? Recoil springs (850 rnds time for a new spring) and alloy frame wears out sooner, more recoil, shorter sight radius, still has the same grip length as a 5" model (no easier to conceal) and loss in velocity from shorter barrel. The barrel on the Pro-carry should be 4 1/4 " if it has a shorter barrel it's an Ultra-Pro-Carry, grip length is a tad shorter and ya give up a rnd. because of it (other cons are also compounded). Reliability is a cause for concern in the models shorter than 4 1/4" due to timing issues. I do like the "Pro-Carry" models and did own one (series II) but the 5" models just make sense to me. I would buy the Pro-Carry and keep the Custom Stainless LE, if that's not an option than keep what you know that works. I try to keep my guns now and not trade (unless I absolutely don't like it), prevents remorse and ya build a nice collection to pass down.:) Good luck, hope it helps-

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Pro carry and the Compact both have a 4" barrel. The Pro Carry is built on a full size frame while the Compact has an Officers frame. The 3" barrel is the Ultra Carry. It's also an Officers frame.. The 4.25" barrel 1911's are Commanders. Kimber doesn't make one..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry Guys, My bad. The gun is an Ultra Carry, Pre-series II with a 3" barrel. After looking at some sites I realized my mistake. If I can come up with the cash to buy this and I can still keep my Target Kimber, is $565 a good price ??? Thanks, Shooman

·
Registered
496 Posts
KEEP YOUR STAINLESS CLASSIC!!!!! Nuff said!! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry Guys, My bad. The gun is an Ultra Carry, Pre-series II with a 3" barrel. After looking at some sites I realized my mistake. If I can come up with the cash to buy this and I can still keep my Target Kimber, is $565 a good price ??? Thanks, Shooman
Probably has the DREADED External Extractor :confused::bawling:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
***edit***

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
If you need to sell your Classic to buy the Ultra Carry, I'll take it..:biglaugh:
Ya beat me to it!:) I think that $565.00 is a decent price especially if it's in NY. I 'd still try to get them to come down, why not? Doesn't cost ya anything and they have more room to move than on a brand new firearm.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Two questions that have to be answered.

Is your gun 100% reliable?

Is the Ultra?

Unless it is strictly for a collection, always work towards the gun that is reliable.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
OK, joking or not, there's too many trying to buy this guy's pistol.

THIS IS NOT ALLOWED ON 1911FORUM!!!!!!!!!

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.