1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,
I have a question. I own a Springfield Armoury Mil-Spec .45, a Kimber STS Custom and Target, and a Wilson Protector. How does Sellier and Bellot handle in these pistols? Are the ammo of good quality and non-damaging over the long run? I saw some on sale for 8.97 for 50 rds and I'm very tempted to get some. I usually use Win 230 gr. FMJ rds in the White box. I have never had problems with them but I like to get a cheaper but good quality ammo. Anyone got some opinions? Thanks

--------------------------------------------
"God created Man and Woman, Colonel Colt made them equal"

[This message has been edited by ZekeLuvs1911 (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've never found any problem with S&B ammo, except that my 9mm doesn't like it. It feeds fine and doesn't give any other signs of trouble; it just isn't accurate in my gun. But you find that phenomenon with just about any ammo.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
685 Posts
After buying a box of this and that for the first few months of owning my .45, I started buying S&B by the case. Its accuracy and reliability have yet to dissapoint me (keep in mind I've only shot about 2000 rounds of it, though, so this is not a lot of data). I've shot 400 rounds in the span of 3.5 hours without cleaning my weapon and there were no FTFs, FTEs, or WTFs (not counting two last rounds which hung up in a dirty mag - my fault for not cleaning it sooner).

Best of luck!

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your info guys. I just ordered a half of case to give it a shot...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just shot a box of S&B through my M1 Carbine today. She did not like it at all. Every magazine had multiple jams, mostly failure to fully chamber, bolt would not go fully into battery. Had to force bolt fully closed most of the time. When I collected the brass I noticed dings in the sides like there was something on the chamber walls making dings when it expanded during firing. Shot a box of UMC I've had around for years, no problems at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have put about a case of S&B 9mm thru a Glock 26, and case of their 45acp thru my Kimber compact. Worked real good for me.

Usually, if you look around a bit, you can find it at real good prices. When you do, buy a bunch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
No steel core that I'm aware of. I'v used it in 9mm and 45ACP. It's cheap, dirty, accurate and always goes bang. All in all It's a very good value IMHO. Sam

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where are some reasonable places to buy S&B ammo, I live in no-where IOWA

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't found S&B to be dirtier than some other bargain brands, but clean as a whistle is is not. I buy most of my S&B from natchezss.com -- I usually wait until it goes on sale. S&B is what Wilson uses to test the accuracy of their pistols.

One thing I've noticed about S&B is the primers tend to be a little harder than some brands. I will occassionally get a light primer stike on some striker-fired pistols (glock and Steyr, my H&K P7 has never had a problem). I have only seen this in 9mm as I do not own any non-1911 .45s (why would I?
) and the good old hammer-fired 1911 has never generated a light primer strike!

All in all I love S&B for range ammo, it's cheap and accurate, and comes in very compact and efficient packaging.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts