1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The price of this ammo is pretty reasonable but after trying some Wolf ammo and ending up with a filtyh gun, I figured I better ask. Is this stuff any good?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes.

Clean, accurate, never had any bad rounds in thousands of rounds.

It is also regular brass and primers, so if you reload it's a bonus.

A lot of other guys in our club use it for practice and matches. No problems in 9MM, 40S&W, or 45ACP.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have only shot it in the 9mm, but it was good ammo. I never had a failure. I have heard people say it was dirty ammo, but I have seen worst.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree with the other guys here. I have shot S&B before only in 9mm and I pefer it over Wolf anyday. At least the brass ain't hard on the extractors like the Wolf stuff is. The only way I would ever use wolf ammo is if it's the only thing I can find. S&B is good ammo!

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
S&B FMJ is my choice for range/practice ammo. It can be found by the case for around $8/box.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use a lot of S&B in my Springer, Ruger P89 9mm, and Ruger GP100 in both .357 and .38 Special. It's very reasonably priced and in most cases, cheaper than Winchester White Box. I ususlly order from Outdoor Marksman and get good pricing and turnaround from them ( www.outdoormarksman.com )

The only real problem I have had with it is a possibly bad batch of .357 158gr FMJ stuff. The S&B stuff a fairly hot load (1394fps and 683 ft. lbs) and in my GP100, it will occasionally cause a cylinder lock-up by having part of the bullet jacket be torn off and jamming between the forcing cone and the cylinder throat.

I have always heard that Ruger revolvers are overbuilt and should easily handle hot loads, so that's why I think this issue is with the particular batch of ammo and not S&B or the Ruger.

I do get a buildup of the red coating from around the primers but it comes off easily with some solvent.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Be careful with Sellier & Bellot. It shoots well, but they sometimes use steel-jacketed bullets. Indoor ranges may have a problem with that, and outdoor ranges in fire areas often ban steel-jacketed bullets as well.

Depending on where you shoot, you may want to check the bullets with a magnet before buying.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have been shooting S&B for that past 5 years (literally thousands of rounds) with both .45 and 9mm and I have never seen one bullet with a steel jacket. Guess I am just lucky.

Mad Dog :p

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've shot at least 3000 rounds of S&B .45ACP 230gr FMJ and have no complaints. Among the lower priced factory ammo, I think it's the best (compared to Armscor and MFS). I buy Armscor now, but only because it costs less. If the price were the same, I'd go with S&B. It tends to be a little dirtier than UMC (yellow box) or USA (white box), but that's no big deal.

I have friends who have had bad luck with the .40S&W 180 FMJ, though. I don't know exactly why they don't like it, but I'd test a few boxes in my gun before I bought a pallet of it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Another endorsement for S and B. I have shot lots of the .45 and the wife has went through thousands in 9mm in her CZ.

The .45 brass has some tight primer pockets that some people have stated that they had problems with in reloading, but I have not had any issues. Never tried reloading the 9mm.

Stacey

·
Registered
315 Posts
S&B in .45, 9mm and even .40 were great.. a few light charges in .45 once, but thats it... Then I got some .357sig. This stuff was way inconsistant.. some really weak, some really hot.. after 2 case failures and a few bulged brass, I will no-longer get it in .357sig.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been shooting S&B 230gr 45ACP for about seven years now. After many thousands of rounds I can say that I have not had a single problem with this ammo. I haven't tried it in any other calibers, but the 45's are great for practice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've never shot any S&B but I reload S&B .45 cases all the time and they seem to hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
It's plenty good for plinking and practice.

I've shot many cases of the stuff in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. It's a bit hotter than similar stuff made this side of the pond, and a bit dirtier, too, but so what?

It is frequently available for substantially-cheaper prices than similar loads from Federal, Winchester, or Speer (check www.ammoman.com), as is Fiocchi.

Best.

·
Registered
229 Posts
S&B offers terrific ammo. After buying several thousand rounds of .45 ACP 230 FMJ, I'm not purchasing any longer because it will take me "forever" to wear our the S&B brass that I'm now reloading.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You mean no one out there has had problems with this stuff?
I hadn't until last weekend. Had a bullet stuck in the barrel of
my Springfield 45. They must have missed the powder in that one. I actually have liked the ammo enough to stock almost a 1000rds. Now I'm worried. The previous few 100 I've shot were
fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts