1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten year old Gold Cup National Match, Stainless Steel, Series 80.
It is in great condition. I think I fired 50 rounds through it and the rest of the time it sat in the blue colt case.
I want to put it on consignment in the local gun shop.

How much should I ask?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
How bad do you need money? They can sell quickly or slowly depending on the price tag. I would say a quick sale would be anything in the $600 to $650 range. And if willing to wait maybe $900. You won't be happy because you never get what you paid. And you are sans a Colt.

·
Administrator
73,753 Posts
Eldage1, careful how you word ads like this as it's against forum rules to even direct folks towards a gun for sale, even if it's not being actually posted here. Since you're a newbie I don't mind cutting some slack, though. I would say that the asking price of that Gold Cup will vary by region. Here in the NW guns seems to be a little more spendy than in say, the southern states. Here such a Gold Cup in near-new condition could pull about $700, if it pre-dates the so-called Enhanced models. You'll know if yours is an Enhanced model by whether or not it has a goofy beaver-paddle grip safety and an undercut front strap/trigger guard junction. If so, it's an Enhanced model and the value will likely be about $50 less.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
dsk

I think you need to research the going asking price of used Gold Cups in the Pac. NW. I have seen two Series 80 Gold Cups (blue) where the asking price was very close to $900. I'm not saying they were worth it, since a new one is not much more, but that was the asking price. One Gold Cup is still in the display case, and the other was gone a week later.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Administrator
73,753 Posts
Ya, I've seen what some folks will charge. But I wasn't recomending to Eldage1 that he be like them. There's a Series 70 at one local shop that looks like some sort of corrosive liquid was spilled on it, yet they still want $695 for it!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
dsk

I understand. This thread could very easily fit in the "Price Insanity" folder. Since that is what our local area pricing is in a lot of ways, insane.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
358 Posts
Eldage1:

Find out what a new Gold Cup is selling for in your area, then lower your asking price by about 20%. Don't forget, if you put it on consignment, the store also get their cut. Then who ever buys your gun will have to pay tax. 20% is about right because if your price is to high, a buyer will say "hell, for a few dollars more I can get a new one".

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

·
Registered
114 Posts
saw one last weekend s.s. series 80 'mint' offered for $700.00. it lasted about 45 minutes. but that's east tennessee, hero45 is dead on with his suggestion. the real price depends on how fast you want to sell it and the asking price depends on the prices/attitudes in your are.
(hope commenting with 'seen' prices is not bucking the rules. i too, am a 'new-bee'.) this is a really GREAT site, and i don't want to offend. my spelling is bad enough to offend anybody, don't want to add fuel to the fire.

·
Registered
358 Posts
$875 is a good price for a new Gold Cup. $875 minus 20% is exactly $700, which is also a good price for a used Gold Cup.

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your guidance.
I am in no hurry to sell it so I will use the 20% off rule. To be honest, It goes against my grain to sell a gun. I usually just limit myself to buying them. The only reason I am selling it is because I never shoot it and that just "ain't" right.

dsk, I did not know it was improper to list a gun for sale. Fortunately, I did not. Thanks for the "slack".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts