1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never sold reloads but I have seen ammo for sale at Gun shows in bags of 100 that I'm sure are reloaded. Does anyone know if it's even legal to sell reloads and if so where I might be able to find rules, regulations or laws that might cover this topic.?

Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
Read it and weep. As you stated, it's legal, but..... there are a lot of expensive hoops you have to jump through to make it legal. Then there's the whole insurance thing. As a retired owner of a manufacturing business, I can tell you that whatever insurance you have, it's not enough if someone decides to sue you. And remember, ANYONE can sue you for ANYTHING at ANY TIME! Sure you can go to court and beat them, but you still have maybe $20,000 in legal expenses if it's a very short court appearance and the case gets thrown out. However, if you really have to go to trial you can plan on spending a LOT more!:barf:

Are you SURE you still want to sell a few rounds of ammo at a gun show? IMHO it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Weshoot2 can give the real answers to your questions. Either wait for him to respond or PM him. Tracy

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have never sold reloads but I have seen ammo for sale at Gun shows in bags of 100 that I'm sure are reloaded. Does anyone know if it's even legal to sell reloads and if so where I might be able to find rules, regulations or laws that might cover this topic.?

Thanks
Nothing beats the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide. See http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf for your own copy. The short answer is on the FAQ page- Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

Don't even think about claiming that you're selling reloads and NOT in it for profit.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I think its a bad idea.....Companys like Precesion Delta do it but they are big time..

I too have saw people at Gun Shows selling those 100 round bags of reloads... Theres no way in Hadies id buy them from anyone other than a established Company such as the one mentioed above...
You have no idea if a moron loaded them or if they will blow up in your face...

No offence to the OP but I agree selling your reloads is a Bad Idea!

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Or more to the point. If I were selling reloads and someones gun blows up, how do I prove it was or wasn't mine? My point is how do you keep some BoBo from trying to come after you for a pistol he blew-up?

People have egos. And we all know there are people who wouldn't want to suffer the public shame of blowing up their own Roscoe. Or worse, their ego won't even entertain the thought it was their reload. :biglaugh:

You want to sell to your friends. You know them and they trust you. Sure. But selling to anyone...I'm not so sure.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Remember, there is a Federal excise tax on ammo. The Fed's want their $$. That is why a license is needed. Also, in today's economy, your state will want their share as well. (state business tax, maybe a fire inspection and license as well.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts