1911Forum banner

Selling Used Handguns in CA???

449 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bountyhunter 
#1 ·
I haven't been paying much attention to the bogus legal requirements in CA for a couple of years.

What's currently required with selling USED handguns? Any difference between private party and consignment?

(I know for new handguns CA requires saliva, hair, blood, and semen samples, along with proof of 12 years continuous car insurance coverage, electricity bills, your left testicle, first born son, and five nights with your wife by the clerks at DOJ):rolleyes: .

#3 ·
8200 rpm said:

(I know for new handguns CA requires saliva, hair, blood, and semen samples, along with proof of 12 years continuous car insurance coverage, electricity bills, your left testicle, first born son, and five nights with your wife by the clerks at DOJ):rolleyes:
You still have to go through that since legally you must do the same background check as if you bought the gun from the dealer.

Sucks, don't it? :(

But check this - I had a gun at a dealer for consignment in Henderson. I decided to get the gun back from them as no one had bought it so I figure I'll just shoot it. To get my gun back I had to fill out the yellow form, and would have had to do the background check if I didn't have a CCW! For my own gun! :mummy:

#4 ·
thanks for the speedy replies.

i don't really mind the transfer dealer, background check and 10-day wait. it's been that way since the early 90's; i don't know any better.

but i was afraid that the legal restrictions might have become more prohibitive in the last couple years for doing the USED handgun transfers.

what would piss me off is if buying/selling USED became MORE restrictive than buying NEW. Could you imagine not being able to sell unwanted guns or not being able to buy unwanted guns at USED prices?

I bring this up because I have this nagging urge to standardize my handgun collection to 1911's. Maybe, it'll just pass.

#5 ·
what would piss me off is if buying/selling USED became MORE restrictive than buying NEW. Could you imagine not being able to sell unwanted guns or not being able to buy unwanted guns at USED prices?
It is that way if you own what CA calls an "assault rifle" - in-state you can only sell it to an authorized dealer (not all are), and they can give you anything they want for it. Your only other option is to sell it out of state. Man I'm glad I got my guns and me outta there! :D

#6 ·
Valkman said:
It is that way if you own what CA calls an "assault rifle" - in-state you can only sell it to an authorized dealer (not all are), and they can give you anything they want for it. Your only other option is to sell it out of state. Man I'm glad I got my guns and me outta there! :D
yep, i got one of those (registered owner, UNFORTUNATELY). the problem with CA is that they keep redefining what an "assault weapon" is. buy it legally one year, then the next year it's contraband.

yep, the notion that i can't pass on my rifle to my own kids as inheritance when i die is just bullshlt.

other than the liberals controlling the state government and the retarded feel-gooders who keep voting them in, California is a great state in terms of geographical diversity, climate, and economy.

#7 ·
Re: Handguns

denstoe said:
must go thru a transfer dealer, be papered and waited ten days for. Sucks but its better than a couple of other states. This includes pre 1898 blackpowder weapons that use a metallic cartridge.
It should be noted that, under Federal law, antique firearms, even if they use metallic cartridges, are exempt. California law however, has a different definition for an antique firearm. The wording in the California Penal Code, Section 12020(b)(5) defines an antique cartridge firearm as follows: "any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United State and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

Under Federal law, that would only apply to replicas of antiques. Under California law, it applies to the antiques themselves.

#8 ·
8200 rpm said:
What's currently required with selling USED handguns? Any difference between private party and consignment?
I believe guns shown "on consignment" at a gun shop are sold using the PPT sale once an interested buyer is found. The FFL at the shop does the paperwork and checkout and gets a small fee (like $25). A gun shop is not allowed to buy "non list" guns or receive them into inventory, so when they place one in their display case "on consignment" they are basically renting a spot in their case for a private party to display a gun that is offered for PPT sale.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.