1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my first match recently, loved it and will continue. One stage was 35 yards. I noticed that I couldn't see my point of entry on the paper targets. Someone suggested semi waddcutte rounds, as they leave a larger hole. It was then mentioned that that would required reloads.

I do not reload, but I found them available at Cabella's. Obviously they are a lead nose, do they feed OK? I have always shot a jacketed bullet, believing they feed better.

Two questions:

Does SWC make sense for USPSA?
Do they feed OK?

Thanks,
Jay

· Super Moderator
13,633 Posts
I haven't shot USPSA in a couple of years but have shot it for years since the late 80s. Semi wadcutters were the king among reloaders in .45ACP. 200gr. HG68 bullets were what I used, they function great. Bill Wilson and other old time IPSC shooters recommend 200gr. HG68 bullets for reloading. Yes, they're lead. The copper coated versions as sold by Rainier and/or West Coast doesn't function quite as well.

· Registered
15,190 Posts
sound advice

Ditto "Don't look for holes", look for your shot WHEN it's fired.
You'll shoot better.

Trained right you can call your shots without looking at the target (Plaxco, the Supreme King of shot-calling).

See, I'm old and don't see so good, shoot alotta .355" boollets in matches, and BY GOD! you can't see THEM holes, ay?

· Registered
579 Posts
What ^^^^^^^^ said. If your looking for hole(s) you ain't "calling your shots" and waisting gobs of time in the process.

Yes the semi wadcutters are acceptable for USPSA, lots more smoke than jacketed or plated or coated bullets though and heavy smoke is what many try to aviod as it can obscure targets and the ability to accurately call shots.

· Registered
23,961 Posts
Moly coated SWCs from Bear Creek and Precision generate little more smoke than jacketed. No, you shouldn't be scoring your target while you shoot, but every once in a while that nice big clean-cut hole will get you a point.

· Registered
2,019 Posts
I think it would be better to stick with what you're using now, if you're happy with it, and quit looking for the bullet holes. Not everyone likes the smoke from cast bullets.

The clean hole from the semi wadcutter is less likely to get you an extra point than the ragged hole from a RN/JHP IMHO. Most ROs will call anything close to the line as the higher value, because experience with overlays has given them an idea of how close is "close enough". Obviously they will make mistakes that help the shooter from time to time, usually in favor of the shooter (who could always ask for an overlay if they thought the error didn't go their way).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.