1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have noticed this before, and ignored it, but the bottom portion of my barrel hood area is rough, never polished, pretty poor Quality control. And while I was out shooting with a buddy today he took note of it to.

I compared it to his old ProCarry barrel that was made in 05. The pro carry barrel is beautiful along side the crim pro barrel. Finished all the way around, the Crim Pro barrel, is definitely lacking in finishing touches and polishing. It is really obvious when you look at the ejection port, something I did not do when I bought it, you expect things like the tool marks to be cleaned up, on a $1000 pistol especially one of Kimber reputation.

So I called Kimber. Gal on the line seemed really annoyed that it would bother me that the bottom visible portion of the barrel hood wasn't finished and was rough and ugly. She actually asked me what I expected them to do about it? "Well, polish it and finish it like a $1000 dollar pistol should be." "You can send the gun to us. IF the barrel is defective, we'll exchange it." If it is something not covered under defective you can pay to refinish it. But that isnt my department I just answer the calls here. I don't see why you would care, clearly what you are describing is something that you did, cause we would never let a unfinished firearm out of quality control."

No matter how I described it, or offered to send pictures of it, it was my fault cause Kimbers are made to the highest quality standards in the industry and with the highest grade match parts available.

So here's the deal. This crimson pro shoots the absolute best of any 1911 I have ever shot. 2" all day with any ammo I have tried out to 40yds right at POA.

Do I risk sending it into them and them NOT finishing it, but exchanging it for another barrel that may not shoot as well or do I just live with it and shoot it as is.

I was really put off by the attitude about this, she got downright nasty asking what I expected them to do, and giving me scenarios of how this might be my fault.

Yeah... (SARCASM)it is my fault that the $1000 gun I bought wasn't finished before it left the factory.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It would seem that you have a perfect gun, and for only $1,000. Why would you complain? Why should they polish someplace that no one can see, other than to turn a $1,000 gun into a $1,025 gun?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im gonna disagree with the last post. It should be finished. 1K is enough money to get a good lokin shooter in my opinion. I love my Kimber, but SA wins everytime on CS. Thats why I also own a TRP. My next purchases will not be Kimbers based on this reason.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
For me it would be a non issue, I don't know why you would be concerned about it. I bought my Kimbers to shoot. Sorry but I really think you are making a big deal out of nothing. I really don't want you to think I'm trying to bash you or make light of your concerns, to me it just doesn't make any sense.

Keep your barrel and enjoy shooting it. :rock:

·
Registered
30 Posts
the customer is always right

I agree with triehl27, that he bought a gun that was to look as good as it is to shoot. It does not matter if it cost a $1000.00 or $4000.00. You want the best you can get for the money you have paid. With the person at Kimber, she is there to make the customer happy and the company money. But they forget which comes first, to stay in business. I have a family business which been doing business for 103 years, so I know what it takes.

-----------------------------
Keep safe and the powder dry.

·
Registered
568 Posts
...offered to send pictures of it...
Would you mind sharing the pics with us?

Both of my Stainless TLE's are unfinished on the bottom half. They are the most accurate
1911's I own and have never once failed, they are both dead reliable.

Should they have been finished on the bottom? Maybe.

Does it bother me they aren't? No.

But I do understand your feelings.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
If this is on the outside of the barrel, it would be a lot cheaper for you to go to the auto parts store, buy some wet/dry sandpaper and polish off the part of the bead blast that is bugging you.

The barrel should be a dull bead blast on the underside of the chamber area. Post a pic, this sounds like you are getting all worked up about nothing.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
Ya ever think of calling back and maybe you'll get a dirrerent person?

claire

·
Registered
309 Posts
You are going to spend $50.00 to send it back to them, just so they can polish a spot on the barrel that's only about 3/16"?
If you have a dremel, use the felt polishing wheel and polish it your self.
If you shoot it enough, (thats what pistols are for BTW, not fondeling them, thats what yer wifes boobs are for) it'll get nice and scratched up and you will never notice it anyway.:biglaugh::):confused:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Certainly not knocking the OP for wanting it right, but it would be a non issue with me also.

If the gun shoots and functions perfectly for you... don't fix what works.

You can fix it yourself for nothing but a little labor and a dremmel tool.... or you can be out the shipping charges to Kimber and not have your gun available for a couple of weeks.

As for the customer service issue.... that is precisely why I ask to speak with Dennis. He's blunt, but I just attribute that to being a New Yorker ! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
You are going to spend $50.00 to send it back to them, just so they can polish a spot on the barrel that's only about 3/16"?
If you have a dremel, use the felt polishing wheel and polish it your self.
If you shoot it enough, (thats what pistols are for BTW, not fondeling them, thats what yer wifes boobs are for) it'll get nice and scratched up and you will never notice it anyway.:biglaugh::):confused:
He's sending a barrel, not the gun. < $5.

It's people. If one wants custom, hand built and hand finished features, that's what they ought to buy. Problem is, it's all about money before buying something; we weigh the things that really matter as well as the money it takes to get more. Then after the buy, some people's expectations creep up quickly and they expect that what they bought, ought to be more than what they bought. :)

My $54k+ truck's coating under the wheel wells isn't pretty, but it's functional. I'd never think to take it back to the dealer and expect it be redone because it's not pretty. I may do something to make me happy about it, but, well, it's doing what it's supposed to do so...... :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Like Kruzr said. Wet/dry sand paper around 400 grit and 5 to 10 minutes of elbow grease, "problem" solved. I did it on the whole barrel in my PC HD II. Good luck.

Best regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Finish

First why I am debating this is because it shoots so well.

This isn't about a matte finish, I have felt wheeled the barrel as I have with my SA barrel. This is about the rough machining and unfinished portions.

Someone requested pictures here they are:

The barrel in comparison, are:
Matte barrel is from a $499 Taurus 1911
The Polished is from a $429 MilSpec SA
The Pro Barrel is from a $948 Kimber Crimson Pro and the barrel in question.

And obviously the less expensive barrels have a lot more polish and finishing done to them at the factory.
I realize the the Taurus barrel is only partially visable, but is just as well finished as the SA polished barrel only Matte in finish.

The crimpro barrel came mottled matte finished which showed siny handling spot, I polished up the whole to the shine, and keep a coat a oil on. Before the problem areas were MUCH more obvious as it trapped and held oil and grime much more then it does now.

The more I look at the whole barrel ,it is more then just the ejection port area, the finished areas run downward at a crooked angle on the barrel, and the finished to unfinished areas are spotty and uneven as shown in the photos. Even the lathe work appears uneven and poor.

And obviously the less expensive barrels have a lot more polish and finishing done to them at the factory.

Onto the car analogy, sure the wheel wells are one thing, how about if you spent 54K on a truck and the bottom rocker panel of the doors weren't finished would you take it back and ask to have it finished. That is a more realistic comparison. Not something you see immediately see but something that is visually noticeable. Then you find that the bottoms of the door are rough sanded and spot painted, would you have the dealer fix it?

Talk to someone else. Sure, but when you get such a cold nasty reception and open accusation from the receptionist who then at the end admits she doesn't have any authority to deal with the matter, after you have spent 10mins listening to her berate you, kinda make you not wanna call back. If you are the receptionist transfer the call, don't attack and berate the person then tell um you don't have the authority to authorize anything. In the end she left it to me to send it in or not, wouldn't put me through to someone who actually deals with these things.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts