1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my Custom II has a FTF problem. I want to send the gun in to Kimber and have it reamed, the feed ramp polished, and the extractor tuned. What do I need to write down in order to make sure everything is taken care of? Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would just describe the entire problem to them, and let them fix whatever they want. You may inadvertently skip something important that is masking the real problem, if you get too specific. Since it's a warranty job, they will have to get it right.

Your post didn't say what you have tried so far. Have you swapped in a known, reliable magazine? Ruled out the ammo - thoroughly cleaned and detailed the top inside of the hood/slide, ramp, and barrel chute? Maybe you have, I'm just trying to help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried USGI, Wilson, and Kimber magazines, cleaned the weapon immaculately (which I shouldn't have to just to make it function) and tried several types of ammo. I'm sure it's a problem with the weapon.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Have you adjusted the extractor? What kind of FTF's are you getting?

It's easy to check the chamber diameter. Take the barrel out and drop a few rounds in to see if they go in flush. If they drop in, the chamber isn't the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hrm, well I put 200 rounds of Winchester FMJ through it and it failed to feed twice the 1st 50 rounds, after that it ran like a champ. Guess it just needed a little more breakin time,

·
Registered
582 Posts
SKS_Lover said:
Hrm, well I put 200 rounds of Winchester FMJ through it and it failed to feed twice the 1st 50 rounds, after that it ran like a champ. Guess it just needed a little more breakin time,
Sounds to me like you got a good gun, That needs to be shot a little more. I'd take the $50 dollars that your going to spend on U.P.S. and find a local gun smith and have him show you how to tune the Extractor. And give the gun a general look over. Also run a light bead of gun grease down your slide railes. I think your trying to fix somthing that isn't broken... Take Care..

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
SKS_Lover

Do a search in the Kimber folder for "Gold Match" and read all of the threads. Feeding problems in Kimbers are very common, and the threads will bring up most of the things to check. The thing for you to remember is that you must identify what needs to be done before you send your pistol back to Kimber for this situation. Kimber will not do any trouble shooting. They will adjust the extractor (the most common "repair" done by Kimber), fire a magazine of ammo, and say all is well. Unfortunately this is not adequate for this situation. Also, once you have identified the situation, more than likely its an ammo/barrel interface problem, you should consider having the work done by a local smith; the cost will be lower, and they may let you watch them work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
SKS_Lover

Run a couple more boxes through it. Most likely, you'll find the problem has fixed itself.

As has already been stated, "Sounds to me like you got a good gun...".

Go forth and hurl lead!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Yup. and Yup.

Got an "old" Custom II with about 5500 rounds on it. Eats anything now. Shoots great, carry it ever'where.

Got a still finicky BPTen that I wouldn't carry as a backup on a bet. (Only 400 rounds thru it....still Sir JamsALot...another coupla hunnert rounds and she might be fine...)

Gotta stainless Colt Series 70...shoots any old thing right outta the box from day one. Go figure.:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts