1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about sending the TRP Operator back to have the trigger lightened up a tad. Any other worth while suggestions while it's there? Anything that may improve upon it's accuracy or anything else? Or anything that dresses it up a tad. Thought about Black T but I really do like the A-Cote.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
sorry, carry bevel.

its on their custom sheet.

in my opinion, (for duty carry), edges too sharp.

My MC Operator is going back for some issues with slide to frame fit, hopefully warranty.

In my opinion too sloppy compared to some some other MC or LWT Operators I have held and examined.

While there, I am going to get it dehorned and re coated with Armory Coat.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have my Mil-Spec in the custom shop right now for several things. One is a dehorn/melt job. I told them I really wanted it rounded. Also night sights and a better trigger. And other tweaks. I'll put up pics when it comes home.

:cool:

·
Banned
11 Posts
sorry, carry bevel.

its on their custom sheet.

in my opinion, (for duty carry), edges too sharp.

My MC Operator is going back for some issues with slide to frame fit, hopefully warranty.

In my opinion too sloppy compared to some some other MC or LWT Operators I have held and examined.

While there, I am going to get it dehorned and re coated with Armory Coat.
How did the slide fit to the frame when you originally purchased your MC Operator??

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I held two Operators prior to purchasing my used with 200 rounds through the tube. I bought my off the net.

A older straight cut rail MC Operator had no felt play between slide and frame which impressed me for a standard production piece.

LWT Champion Operator that had ZERO play between slide and frame. I was impressed with this piece, but decided to go with a 5" and full steel.

this was my decision factor for the hardly used new style angle cut rail Operator.

Hard to explain mine but when dry practice, I can feel and hear my slide slop when I come to a stop. when holding in one hand, thumb safety off, and you shake the gun from side to side, sounds like a woodpecker going to town. of course depending on my hand speed.

side to side: Yes
Up and Down: Yes

I'm just picky.

My buddy's DW PM7 10mm is TIGHT! for a 875 piece, very tight for a production gun.

Not sure if under warranty, but want it fixed or tighter keeping in mind this is still a duty piece.

If warranty svc tells me that is standard Operator fit, I probably will bite the bullet and have it tightened only because it would still be cheaper than a TRP Operator and I have never been a fan of 20LPI.

I do want something on the front strap, I dont know what just yet. but it will not be 20LPI.

thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
CQB,
That is quite an anomaly. I too have handled several MC's in the last couple of years until I took the plunge and bought one a couple of months ago. All the MC's I've handled had very good slide/frame fits. The gun that I got gave me no surprises in quality -- everything fit very well. I'm just pissed with the creep in the trigger--seems to be common w/ SA pistols.

I'm sure SA will make you right. Please let us know the result. Hope they reimburse you for shipping also.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The two top priorities for me (ESPECIALLY for a duty/carry/HD gun, one you are going to entrust with your life) would be to:

1) GET RID OF THE ILS (Internal Locking System MSH)!!!!!!
I would have them replace the entire housing, you could even get them to put on the same MSH that they use on the TRP Professional FBI model. This will also SIGNIFICANTLY increase the crispness of your trigger.

and

2) Take out all of the MIM internal parts and replace them. These parts aren't horrific or anything, so this isn't as high up on the list as the ILS, but I'd still have them get rid of ANY parts that may cause trouble, especially if you're taking the gun into harm's way. And while they're at it, maybe you could have them pin the ejector....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ILS definaltely has to go. And a good dehorn sounds in order...Thanks. I was at the range the other day. Everyone seemed to want to shoot it. Uaually when I go not to many people around. But, This time there was a few. It really does shoot nice. I am just not real thrilled with the trigger. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
The two top priorities for me (ESPECIALLY for a duty/carry/HD gun, one you are going to entrust with your life) would be to:

1) GET RID OF THE ILS (Internal Locking System MSH)!!!!!!
I would have them replace the entire housing, you could even get them to put on the same MSH that they use on the TRP Professional FBI model. This will also SIGNIFICANTLY increase the crispness of your trigger.

and

2) Take out all of the MIM internal parts and replace them. These parts aren't horrific or anything, so this isn't as high up on the list as the ILS, but I'd still have them get rid of ANY parts that may cause trouble, especially if you're taking the gun into harm's way. And while they're at it, maybe you could have them pin the ejector....
I agree with the above. You might as well get rid of the MIM when you get a trigger job done. There are some "drop in units" that might just drop in too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ILS definaltely has to go. And a good dehorn sounds in order...Thanks. I was at the range the other day. Everyone seemed to want to shoot it. Uaually when I go not to many people around. But, This time there was a few. It really does shoot nice. I am just not real thrilled with the trigger. Thanks for the suggestions.
If you pull the ILS garage door spring out and replace with a standart 23# mainspring and change the firiing pin spring, you'll get about a 1/2# lighter trigger. Obviously the firing pin spring doesn't effect it, but its worth doing anyhow. The ILS spring is ridiculous in comparison at 28#.

I replaced ALL the springs in my TRP (16# IMSI recoil, 23# MS, XPower Firing pin) and have had flawless feeding and reliability.

I don't buy into the irrational MIM fears, so I won't go replacing those parts until they give me a reason.

seth

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yeah. You could get the internals replaced, or you could just have them put on a whole MSH without that ugly wart on it. Take your pick between the Wilson style one seen on the Leatham Legend TGO-1 or the S&A one seen on the Pro.

Hey Seth, how irrational is that "ILS fear" going to be when it freezes up on you (as it has been known to do.... Massad Ayoob did an article on SA ILS locks freezing up and another on S&W revolver locks freezing up) in a life or death situation?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I almost wanted to get the barrel changed out to a Nowlin and match bushing like a Pro also. Not sure if it would be worth it. And it may take to much money away from something else I want. I am thinking about getting a Black Stainless, or MC Operator, or another TRP Operator. Then send it to a really good smith to have it totally reworked for another home defense/range gun. I like the rail for the light aspect. Be nice to have another good gun around. Most hand guns I have are revolvers. I love the 1911's I have, and have had. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Forget the new match barrel. For the money you'll spend, the increase in accuracy will be small. At any rate, if you wanted to install a match barrel on your TRP, you should've just bought the Pro model.

On every TRP, TRP operator, MC operator i've handled, the barrel fit is consistently very good.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yeah, unless you're thinking about bullseye shooting, etc, you're not even going to notice the change in accuracy. The bull barrel on your TRP-Op. is really well fit by SA, and upgrading probably isn't worth the money.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Let me ask you this. Would it be better to send it to one of the top smiths and get this done? Or send it to SA. I have seen some of Jim Garthwaite's work. He really does some great work. I realize that this may cost a nice chunk. But, will it be all that much more than SA? He does do such nice work. And I know that there are some others here on the board also. Just a thought. I suppose i'd have no warranty anymore. Oh well...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've gotta say, Springfield Custom has some FINE pistolsmiths. In fact, where do you think Les Baer Sr. and Bill Wilson (the list goes on....) learned to do what they do? Yup, SA Cusom. They're a far cry from what you see in Springfield Armory's production guns. They have all the parts and all the skill required to do anything you could think up. You could really go either way on this one, honestly, but keep in mind that nobody knows Springfield guns better than Sprinfield. Talk to Deb, she'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
but keep in mind that nobody knows Springfield guns better than Sprinfield.
I'd almost agree with that. With the exception of JG and maybe a few others. I have no doubt that they have great smiths. In fact some of the best. And no doubt Deb would take great care of me. But, There are only a handful of smiths (If Any) that are at the same level as Mr, Garthwaite. I have seen some of his work. And quite literally his work is nothing short of Art with functionality. He payes very close attention to detail others may overlook. Best I have ever see personally. This is JMHO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts