1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Sensible Gun Registration Plan That Will Work

Vermont State Representative, Fred Maslack, has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (as well as Vermont 's own Constitution) very carefully. His strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England -- and, elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government -- as well as criminals.

Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to pay such equivalent. "Clearly," says Maslack, "Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves. They should be capable of responding to any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm, would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state. It's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns, and few laws regulating them, has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

" America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards," Maslack continues. "This makes sense: there is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns. Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If only this could happen.

Philip

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I thought I was going to be ticked off when I read the title but I would vote for this guy if I moved to VT we need more like him

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Great! bravo! Itactually fits the intent of the Consitution better than any gun control ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I find this idea just as objectionable on a national level as I would the opposite - registering gun owners. Vermont's state constitution may have stronger language that requires it's citizens to be armed, and if that's the case, I think it's great. But on a national level, if someone doesn't want to own a gun, that's their business and I am fine with that so long as they do not force their views on me. The reverse must hold true as well. Anything that requires us to register ourselves with the government and let them know what we own or don't own is anathema to the notion of individual liberty.

That said, the last quote from Maslack is priceless: " America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

·
Registered
766 Posts
Vermont is not the only state that allows carrying a concealed firearm without a permit. Alaska does too, and they still issue permits to those who want them or need them for reciprocity purposes.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I feel like moving to VT just so I could vote for this guy!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I looked and looked, but every site which has this story has no link......this smells like a fake.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I looked and looked, but every site which has this story has no link......this smells like a fake.
Unfortunately you're right. There is not Vermont State Representative named Fred Maslack.

But I don't think I've laughed so hard, at least unexpectedly, as I did when I got to paragraph 2. It's awesome.

I still think I'll send this as a suggestion to all Texas Gubernatorial candidates as well as State and Federal law makers. It's just crazy enough to make people flinch these days and certainly will get peoples attention. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
One problem with the idea. Would be a back door way of registering gun owners. Anyone that didn't register as a non gun owner, would automatically be put on their "gun owner" list. Sounds like a bogus story, but beware if any of those people in D.C. ever propose something like this.:barf::barf:

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
A lot of people don't realize that this is still part of the US Code: (emphasis added)

TITLE 10, Subtitle A, PART I, CHAPTER 13:
§ 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States... and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

The majority of Americans not only shirk their duty, they are not even aware it exist. By the above and in the true sense of the Constitution these people should maintain a military capable weapon and a basic battle pack at all times. Being well regulated in the original sense of the terms, they should also be practiced in the use of said arms.

·
Registered
843 Posts
One problem with the idea. Would be a back door way of registering gun owners. Anyone that didn't register as a non gun owner, would automatically be put on their "gun owner" list. Sounds like a bogus story, but beware if any of those people in D.C. ever propose something like this.:barf::barf:
Agreed your ATF and the sheepish minority of police officers would have a list of people who's houses not to break into. Sort of a "don't bother" list.

As a joke or point of discussion though this is a neat topic. The Brady types always argue about the "cost of gun violence" but what about all the costs of anti-gunnery. How much money each year do governments spend on checking out robberies, performing rape-kits and autopsies as well investigating murders that could have being easily avoidable if everyone had a gun on them.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
A lot of people don't realize that this is still part of the US Code: (emphasis added)

TITLE 10, Subtitle A, PART I, CHAPTER 13:
§ 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States... and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

The majority of Americans not only shirk their duty, they are not even aware it exist. By the above and in the true sense of the Constitution these people should maintain a military capable weapon and a basic battle pack at all times. Being well regulated in the original sense of the terms, they should also be practiced in the use of said arms.
I've got my personal sidearms. my Galil and M-4 and 5 days food, water and clothing in my truck ready to go (we're supposed to have 3 days anyway at all times!)

The framers were pretty damn smart...let's go back to their original writings and work from there!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I find this idea just as objectionable on a national level as I would the opposite - registering gun owners. Vermont's state constitution may have stronger language that requires it's citizens to be armed, and if that's the case, I think it's great. But on a national level, if someone doesn't want to own a gun, that's their business and I am fine with that so long as they do not force their views on me. The reverse must hold true as well. Anything that requires us to register ourselves with the government and let them know what we own or don't own is anathema to the notion of individual liberty.

That said, the last quote from Maslack is priceless: " America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
+1

I couldn't have posted it better.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
gun that goes bang, check.

ammo for gun that goes bang, check.

some idea how to survive in the woods, check.

ability to use gun and ammo to shoot threats, check.

willingness to defend myself and like minded people, check.

we are all excited about voting, getting handouts from govt, but very little time, thought, or money is devoted to keeping ourselves free.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
whenever anti gunners talk about utopia I love to talk about VT low crime and no gun laws. Its hippie heaven yet there are no restricions except for NFA go figure.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Unfortunately you're right. There is not Vermont State Representative named Fred Maslack.
Ahemmm..... :biglaugh: It's an interesting discussion, and I love the idea, but it's not real.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Exactly, just a backdoor trojan horse.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts