1911Forum banner

Sent TRP back to factory for some work

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Shooter Ready? 
#1 ·
I purchased a Tactical Response Pistol back in Feb of '99 (only paid $800 for it new). That fall I sent the pistol back to the factory to have the tritium inserts installed into the sights.

About a year later one of the tritium inserts died and the other two look very dim, probably a bad batch.

While the pistol is at the factory I decided to have some other work done to it. The pistol came with one of the old style hammers, so I'm having then replace it with one of the new style hammers, just a personal preference thing.

I am having the 20lpi front strap checkering "defanged", the 20lpi is pretty sharp and tends to put a hurting on my hands after a day of shooting. I am also having what the factory calls "square under trigger guard". It's where they square the area where the trigger guard meets the front strap. Les Baer does it on all of his guns (I think) and after shooting my Les Baer and then shooting my TRP I really like this feature, makes me feel like I have a higher hold on the pistol. And after this work is done, they are going to refinish the frame.

Deb in the custom shop told me that the work will be done on my pistol probably the first week of August.

Has anyone had work done by the Springfield Custom Shop, and if so what did you have done and how was it?

Semper Fi
USMC03

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had them work on just about every 1911 I own. From simple sight installations to full house from scratch custom 1911s. Couldn't be happier! Simply outstanding work, great smiths and unbeatable customer service. Deb rocks!

[This message has been edited by FLSi (edited 06-02-2001).]

#3 ·
Hello USMC03. I just picked up a 5" Parkerized "Loaded" model in April. The finish was bad so I called Springfield. They wanted me to send it back. They even paid for the shipping both ways! I figured if the shipping was free my gun should visit the custom shop. I had the front strap stippled and a trigger job done. I put a Videcki trigger in the gun right after I got it. I dont care for the triggers that Springfield puts in their guns. Like you said a personal preference thing. I had this trigger in another .45 that I traded in so it has seen some use. Some of the finish was worn off the trigger. When my gun came back the stippling was excellent and the 4 pound pull that I requested was right on the money. The gun was completely refinished at no charge to me. They refinished my trigger and machined the holes just slightly at the edges. Gave it a nice custom look. The edges are polished and the rest of the trigger is a satin aluminum. I was told 6 to 8 weeks before I would see my gun. It was more like 2-1/2 weeks. I don't know if that type of turnaround is common. I suspect not. I think they were trying to keep me happy because of the finish. The work I wanted done doesn't take long to do so I think they may have pushed mine through so to speak. I would highly recommend the custom shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.