1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone enough of a Kimber fanatic to know serial # ranges? Let's just assume for the base model "custom" for now. I'd be interested to know the cutoffs for the following:
Change from Clackamas to NY
Change to the Stainless blued slides/frames
Change to the Series II safety
Change to the external extractor (if this has begun yet)

I know Colt fans can tell you all sorts of crap about their guns (1911s, SAAs, ARs, whatever) based on serial #s, and I was wondering if anyone knows this information about Kimber.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
normal74

If I remember correctly the Clackmas to Yonkers change occured somewhere between S/N 1900 and 2200. Not a very good approximation I know, but we can start whittling the range down by looking at our own pistols and comparing location and serial number. I am away from home now, but I will look my Gold Match S/N up and post it (its an early Yonkers number).

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When I bought my Kimber used I called them for some info. Dennis asked what my serial number was and told me when and where it was made. You can call them with yours and I'll bet they will help you out.

plunker

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
First off, let me say that you will have difficulty correlating any Kimber SN's with events. According to Kimber, that's just not the way they do things.
Change from Clackamas to NY
SN 65xx-7000, 1997.

Change to the Stainless blued slides/frames
Not sure I understand this one. Do you mean Stainless as opposed to Carbon? You can't blue stainless and there are very few Kimber models that are actually blued.

Change to the Series II safety
Again, can't correlate a SN with an event. Series II's were introduced in early/mid 2001.

Change to the external extractor (if this has begun yet)
It has begun... but the SN issues stated above will apply.

There is a long thread somewhere around here where SN's were discussed. I'll see if I can locate it.

plunker, where did Dennis tell you yours was made? All Kimber 1911s have always been made at the Yonkers facility... even the Clackamas ones.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so it's not actually "blued" and I can't remember what fancy name they give their "black" guns, but you know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
he he! Actually, I really don't know what you're talking about. :p BTW, black oxide is the 'fancy' name. ;)

Are you simply referring to their use of stainless steel for their slides/frames? As far as I can remember, they've used an assortment of stainless/carbon steel slides/frames... there couldn't have been a "stainless" or "blued" option if they didn't. If you're talking about their somewhat deceptive use of stainless steel, I'm not sure when that started. Could have been from the beginning I suppose. Controversy has popped up every now and again about this.

I don't know if Kimber offered a "Stainless" finished version of the Classic Custom in the very beginning of production. If they didn't, it's likely they only used carbon steel and they were blued (birth of the Royal, perhaps?). If that's the case, Kimber changed to SS/carbon to fulfill the "Stainless" finish option very soon after. Maybe Kenbo could answer this question more accurately.

Here's a link to the thread I had mentioned:
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37761&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Hope that helps. :D

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
I got one of the first Custom Stainless models to hit Phoenix. They came out after the rollmark change from Clackamas to Yonkers. Mine was new in 1998 (I think).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sniper

I didn't explain myself correctly. He said that the Kimbers were always made in Yonkers when I asked him where it was made. I thought a heard (from this forum I think) that early models were made else where.

He then volunteered the serial number production date.

plunker

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
oh! LOL! :biglaugh: I was just dyin' to hear something like "Brazil". ;)

I'm totally kidding... Thanks for clarifying your post. I understand now. :D

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
All the help I can offer is this.

My Custom Classic Target is serial # K038xxx.
I bought it brand new in March of 2000. It had not been in the store very long AFAIK.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts