1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a series 1 kimber,and was wondering what was the difference between the 1 and 2 series kimbers?Ive heard something about extra safties but dont know exactly what is the difference.???????????:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
The liability lawyers are in charge, so the Series IIs have a completely absurd safety in the slide that blocks the firing pin. It's activated by the grip safety.

Is it necessary? No. Is it stupid? Yes.
Is it something to go wrong that wasn't there before? Yes. Do they and/or will they fail? Yes, it's a mechanical device.
Do I know anyone personally who has had a Series II fail, No. Is there some concern about it? Yes.

Have mine failed? No. Do I use mine for life-and-death carry? No. (Not a LEO and carry a revolver when deemed necessary.)

I wouldn't not buy a Kimber just because of the lawyer-safety.

The other side effect, is the price of good quality pre-Series IIs is going up. Have two of each, by the way.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
550 Posts
plumber summed it up in a nutshell:D but thats why people arent buying series 2 guns!! pretty silly huh? so there is this huge demand for series 1 guns now.. around my area i cant even try to get silly. no used series 1 for sale. then again i really havent looked that hard.....but none the less i am going to buy another series 2 gun in the next few months... going to test her out thoroughly and see if i have some real issues. just my .50 though!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not trying to hijack the post, but I have a question... I've seen people on here say that the Series II safeties can be removed/bypassed. How is that done? My Stainless Pro Carry II has had a couple problems (none of them safety related) and the info will come in handy at a later date, I'm sure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've posted on the forum, numerous times, about how I removed my Series II parts, from my Compact Stainless II...it's not that difficult of a task, and didn't involve but maybe ten minutes of time. After removal, I replaced the firing pin with a lighter one, and the firing pin spring with a stronger one...just like Springfield, Wilson, and others do. If you want a step by step, PM me, and I'll go through it all! It's so easy to do, that there's no way I'll let the Series II's, keep me from buying more Kimbers...they are the best pistols I have ever owned/fired!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I shot a Kimber Custom Eclipse II for 1 year in IDPA and never experienced any series II related problems. I also SO in IDPA and have yet to witness any malfunction in competition.

However, I have seen one problem while I was practicing with a friend and I'm not positive it was series II saftey. The hammer would fall to half cock, unless you had a firm grip fully depressing the grip saftey. It didn't do this with me, so I assumed his grip needed work, but I don't think the gun should fall to the half cock position. :confused:

I guess the theory of "it's something else to go wrong" is valid, but I wouldn't let this eliminate the gun from becoming part of my collection, since it can be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts