Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive my stupidity.

But, why is a series 70 considered to be more desireable than a series 80?

Elsworth

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Elsworth...
Both the Series 70 and 80 Colt's are excellent guns.

The argument that I have heard through the years are the following: The factory trigger pull is not as crisp on a Series 80 gun because of the firing pin safety setup which is directly operated by the pull of the trigger resulting in trigger creep.

The other argument one hears is that the barrels in the Mark IV Series 70 guns were more accurate because Colt used better barrels and the collet bushing gave the barrel a better lockup resulting in additional benefits in accuracy.

There are many good gunsmiths out there who can make a Series 80 trigger as good as a Series 70 gun. The benefit is the 80 has the extra firing pin safety which can be helpful if you drop your gun with a round chambered.

As far as accuracy goes, my personal experience has resulted in factory Series 70 guns shooting more accurate than the Series 80 guns. However, not enough difference in accuracy to make me choose one over the other.(Round top slide Series 80 guns vs. Series 70 guns.)

The Series 80 guns produced in the early 90's with the enhanced slides (flat top slides) take on a case by case basis. Some are good, some are not so good. The comments above refer to the standard Series 80 with round top slides.)

My carry gun is a Series 80 1991A1 Government model.

Just my personal experience and opinion, for what it's worth.
SamColt Fan

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 06-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Series/80 pistol contains some additional parts comprising a fireing pin safety (a mechanism that precludes the fireing pin from moveing forward unless the trigger is pulled).This was done to address the liability concerns about an accidental discharge should a loaded pre-Series/80 pistol be dropped on its muzzle causing the fireing pin to move forward and strike the primer of the chambered cartridge. There are those that object to this modification feeling that the trigger-pull on Series/80 pistols suffers from the additional feature. This has not been my observation, and I welcome the additional safety feature the Series/80 provides.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have no problem with the series 80. In fact I have both a lightweight officers and a 1991 (both series 80) and love 'em.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont really think there is that much difference, I have 1911's from several eras and each one is just fine. My favorite is my early model Colt Commander and my daily carry gun is an 80's Commander because of the firing pin safety feature.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.