1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a series 70 Combat Commander 9mm. It is bright stainless with a sort of brushed finish on the top of the slide. No box so I couldn't verfiy whether the finish was stock or not but the gun did have Ajax white pearlized grips (not factory). Gun shoots great but it had signs of rusting under the grip panels and around the plunger tube. Also some inside the gun on nearly all the parts I could see. I don't know how to detail strip the gun and am concerned about the internals.

I called my dealer and he said I could get a refund on it tomorrow and was very apologetic about the rust. A gunsmith said he could remove the rust and it should be fine for about $65.

Question. Did the 70 series come in bright stainless at all or is this possibly/probably an aftermarket job? I was not getting this as a collectable but a shooter (fun at range). I already have a 1991 A1 government 9mm blue that shoots fine so I'm thinking that taking this one back is a good idea. It was sort of an impulse buy since I didn't have a commander 9mm and certainly not a 70 series. I just don't like the idea of the rust.

The cost of this particular gun was $850 which is very high I suppose except for the fact that you can rarely fine a 9mm colt around this area.

Would you return it or have it cleaned up and keep it (considering the price)? The dealer will either return my money or pay the gunsmith to clean it up. Oh, finish other than the rust is impeccable. Has short trigger which is very smooth. No malfunctons of any sort during my test fire at the gunsmiths.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
If it were me I'd definitely return it. For one $850 was WAY too high. Second, it's not stainless. Colt didn't make 1911s from stainless steel until 1985. The piece in front of you is nickeled, and FYI when rust gets underneath nickel the latter flakes off badly.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well, I would keep the pistol but ask the dealer to refund about $400 since this amount will be what it takes to start getting the piece in sound shape. Find a good 1911 smith to fit correctly a new firing system. How's the barrel? Replace, if necessary. Strip off that old nickel finish and go with hard chrome (if you have $$$) or parkerizing (if you don't). I would get decent checkered grip panels too. You have a good project gun, if you want it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I was the one that said it was bright stainless, not my dealer. It did look just like my El Rey but I suppose it is indeed nickle although there is absolutely no flaking anywhere, even when cleaning off the rust. But obviously I don't really know how to tell the difference between finishes!!!

I don't want it as a project gun so I'll take it back tomorrow. This was an impulse buy but I did know that I could return it if after looking it over it wasn't what I wanted.

My dealer wasn't trying to represent the gun incorrectly and is really embarassed about the entire deal. I've dealt with him for years and this gun just turned out to be something other than what we both thought it was. "Non-current production" Colts go for big $$ around here probably due to idiots like me. I don't like to purchase over the internet since I want to see the gun first. I know that many times you have a 3 day period to look over the gun but it is just too much of a hassle for me (I travel on business a lot and just can't deal with timing shipments so that they arrive at my FFL when I'm in town). So I am rather restricted to what I see locally or at the shows. I have always purchased NIB guns prior to this since I don't work on them myself or anything like that. In fact, I do not even know how to detail strip a 1911 but am going to learn how real soon since it does interest me.

Thanks for the input. I really do love my 1991A1 9mm so I should have just been satisfied with it. I was glad to have found it a few weeks ago.

My Gold Cup SS and the 1991A1 are all the Colts I'll have for awhile. Will still look into trying to order a Special Combat Government from the Colt custom shop but that may be cost prohibitive since I only shoot them at an indoor range for fun (non competition or defensive).

Thanks again. Back she goes!!!!!

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts