1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

Does anybody know if you can still get the Series 70 collet barrel bushings? And if so where? Colt?

The reason I ask is I am looking at a nickel Series 70 that has had the bushing replaced and I'd like to keep it original

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Now yer talkin'! I like keeping these original, because the collet bushing/Series 70 barrel combination really is an accurate set-up. I have bought them on ebay but don't know of anyone supplying genuine Colt new bushings. Plus, you would need the plated one, right? I've never seen a nickel collet bushing - maybe they used the blue one on that pistol. BTW, make sure it has the barrel marked 'MK IV SERIES 70' which is turned down to a smaller diameter behind the muzzle to relax the bushing's grip during manual slide operation.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I realize that this is a minor point but the once the bushing is replaced, even with another new, but similar one, you are no longer "original" but the gun is still correct. For shooters this distinction is meaningless but for collectors it means a big difference in value. Bob

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
I really doubt anyone is going to fret over originality of parts on a Series 70, or any recent-vintage commercial Colt for that matter. Maybe in another 50 years or so.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I realize that this is a minor point but the once the bushing is replaced, even with another new, but similar one, you are no longer "original" but the gun is still correct. For shooters this distinction is meaningless but for collectors it means a big difference in value. Bob
Not only is it a minor point, but in most cases it would be impossible to tell whether something like a barrel bushing was original to the gun (as long as it were 'correct'), speaking now of current and post-war commercial models.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Series 70 Collet Bushing

Doesn't Colt still sell them? I would think it's a standard replacement part for the for the hundreds of thousands of 70 series guns they made. Then again, they may have discontinued them for the same reason they no longer use them in their guns.
I have one and it shoots better then I do. I suspect that the "problem" with them was largely blown out of proportion or could be traced back to the "human" factor.
If you check with, or have checked with Colt, I would be interested to know what you find out.

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
Colt no longer makes them. For a replacement a standard solid bushing will work fine.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a blued collet bushing...
Tomcatt

·
Registered
60 Posts
Series 70 bushing

With Colt not making them any more, that will certainly but a crimp on keeping one stock if you have a problem or wear one out. I would think that would take more rounds then I have money for. Is there a life expectancy for these realistically, or are we talking 100K + rounds with proper lub/maintenance.

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
Collet bushings can either break fairly early on, or last as long as the pistol. There's really no set formula. However the fact is that serious shooters don't trust them, and for good reason. If you're worried about collector's value I think you should save the collet bushing in a bag somewhere and install a solid bushing for range use and defense.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The collet bushing seems to show up regularly on ebay. I bought a spare from my local gunshop who had a small parts drawer 1/4 full of them in both blue and nickel. This shop has been around for 60 years though and has an in-house smith.
While none of the parts houses carry them, and are just shy of unobtanium this little scorned part works fine in my gun which remains a solid shooter.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I bought a spare from my local gunshop who had a small parts drawer 1/4 full of them in both blue and nickel. This shop has been around for 60 years though and has an in-house smith.
Moon Dawg,

I'd love to know what shop you mean. I would like to hit that up next time I am that way. I like supporting old shops, need a few pars, and also some smith work on barrel fitting on a custom Caspian. Do you mean Kesselring's or another place?

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Collet bushings can either break fairly early on, or last as long as the pistol. There's really no set formula. However the fact is that serious shooters don't trust them, and for good reason. If you're worried about collector's value I think you should save the collet bushing in a bag somewhere and install a solid bushing for range use and defense.
Dunno how it could have been said better than that. Besides Colt's thumbs down, Jeff Cooper did also feel that way. I did careful measurements and ordered a Brown Precision "drop-in" solid bushing to replace the collet bushing my original Government Model (1970 first year run) since I use it as a carry gun and even remote possibility of failure is not acceptable. However, it didn't just drop in (as frequently happens with "drop-in" parts) - too tight in the slide. The good news was that it did drop in on the Series 70 Government Model I bought last year like it was tailor made for it and the solid bushing from that model was a perfect fit for the original.

Equally accurate and snug fitting - sometimes it's more advantageous to be lucky that skillful ! ;)

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts