1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Series 70 Colt Commander in 9mm. Produced in either '73 or '74. Extractor is completely exposed on the underside of the slide with the exception of about a 1/4" at the breechface and at the slide's rear.
Have never seen this in full size Series 70 pistols in 45acp. Anyone out there familiar with this and are there any advantages or disadvantages inherent in it?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Sounds like someone lightened the slide to try to make it more reliable for 9mm...

Hadn't seen that one before, but have heard of similar stuff...

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Sounds like its broken

I'll take it as salvage if you want..

Factory lightened supers and 9mm by milling away inside the slide right under the extractor..shouldn't be a big deal

·
Registered
563 Posts
It probably came out of the factory that way. A 9mm slide weighs more than a 45 and does not have the recoil that a 38 super or 45 has. The breech face is smaller and the rest is about the same. Colt 9mm were very underwhelming and not worth much for any reason. It's a poor choice for a 1911. Hang it on the wall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.
I bought this pistol new from Novak's and had them do a great deal of work on it. It's a present for my girlfriend and will become her carry gun. I ordered an exact copy in 45acp for myself.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
All of my Commanders are like that. There are some other differences that are not as noticeable at first glance. The ejector cut is wider on all Commander slides, not just the 9/38S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts