1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this great forum....

I recently purchased a Series 70 combat commander at an estate sale for a good price...seems all original except for the hammer....it has what appears to be a GM style hammer.....question is...were any Series 70 combat commanders ever produced with this type hammer? serial number begins with 70S...

Thanks

· Registered
233 Posts
In the last 30 years that I have been a shooter of, collector of, and general nut about Colt pistols I have not seen a Combat Commander with a GM hammer that I felt was original. Probably just someones personal preference or the original had bad trigger hooks and it was easier to slap in a GM hammer than procure the correct replacement. Not a big deal, they are available.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply

Thanks for the reply....I further inspected the hammer last night....looks to be satin nickel finish on underside, but as you stated, original owner probably replaced original hammer with GM hammer....

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grips are wooden (light -- oak color) with gold colt emblem in center....

Serial number on mine indicates post 1976......

I decided to have gun inspected by a recommended pistolsmith (friend of a friend) who examined gun and said hammer "and" grip safety had been replaced with GM type at some point in past....he suggested that previous owner may have had larger hands and was getting "bitten" with the standard commander grip safety......

· Registered
1,088 Posts
I recently had my series 70 Combat Commander (blue steel) redone with many modifications, one of which was replacing the original hammer with an Ed Brown hammer.

So, if either of you want the original Commander style hammer off my series 70 Commander, it's yours for the cost of postage :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.