1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know there are 8 pages of Topics in the Colt Forum? And I just read each one (again) looking for some answers. Here are the consideratons I have on purchasing a new production Series 70:

1. Would you hesitate in using a Series 70 for CCW? I know this could become a heated subject real fast so a simple "yes" or "no" is all I'm looking for.

2. Is a non-Ambi Thumb safety more safe? I mean, what are the chances that the exsposed outside thumb safety lever will be accidentially moved (snagged clothing, heavy brush or wandering hands of a hot lover :eek:) . For a right-hand carry the non-Ambi safety is against the body and pretty much protected.

3. If Colt stopped producing the Series 70 today, what would that do to the resale value of your Series 70? Also, Blued or SS has better resale value?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
1. Three out of my four dedicated CCW pistols are Series '70, so I have to say I do not hesitate carrying a Series '70. My fourth pistol is a Series '80 pistol, and I feel just as comfortable with it.

2. A large and/or poorly installed ambi can be wiped off in the holster. I have experienced it myself. A well-installed and narrow ambi does work for me. I do believe the single side safety is safer just because there is less to possibly go wrong. I trust the one shown in the picture.

3. The resale value of my Series '70 pistols has nothing to do with the Series '70 rollmarks. In addition, my CCW pistols are not for sale, so resale is a moot issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
1. Nope. I carry my Springfield Ultra Compact and Norinco 1911 lots of times.

2. It might be. The safety has never accidentally come off.

3. Probably go up. I think stainless is more popular.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ambi safety? Not for me!

LZHome said:
2. Is a non-Ambi Thumb safety more safe? I mean, what are the chances that the exsposed outside thumb safety lever will be accidentially moved (snagged clothing, heavy brush or wandering hands of a hot lover :eek:) . For a right-hand carry the non-Ambi safety is against the body and pretty much protected.
I had the ambi safety removed from my Les Baer carry gun after I accidently wiped it twice. I believe the explicit danger of accidently wiping the safety off far outweighs the extremely remote possibility that I will need to shoot lefty and disengage the safety with my left hand. With a little practice it is quite easy to disengage the standard safety using the thumb of the left hand.

My sense is that the ambi safety is an affectation and just another gizmo for makers and smiths to sell and to clutter up the 1911 design by calling it "custom".

cheers
Jack

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
My curent carry 1911 is a new stainless Series 70. It's had some custom work done to it, but the thumb safety is still factory-stock. I don't like extended safeties at all.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I carried a Colt's Commander around the world a couple of times. Ain't technically Series 70, but it lacks the firing pin interlock. My current higher end carry pistol is a stainless steel Commander-clone with a bobtailed grip. My knock around in the tank turret in a shoulder holster pistol is a Series 80 Office ACP with a Parkerized finish. Never had any problems with any of 'em.

I experimented with ambidestrous thumb safeties and purchased a couple M1911 types with them already mounted. I've no idea why I even experimented, the lever on the right side just gets in the way and it only took one accidental un-safing of the pistol to finalize the deal.

If I was left handed I'd mill the lever off the left side of an ambidextrous safety leaving just the plate to cover the pins and holes. Since I've not seen this part commercially I suspect I'm almost alone in that opinion!

I bought my first stainless steel M1911 less than two years ago. Lack of visible wear and rust makes it an easier pistol to maintain.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
I've experienced ambi safeties being swept-off during carry a couple of times (Kimbers :hrm: ). When it comes to carry guns, I much prefer single-sided, GI-style thumb safeties as found on Series 70's and 1991's... these work perfectly and are very difficult to disengage inadvertantly. I agree with the above poster that for the most part, it seems like extended ambi's are more a great way for accessory makers and gunsmiths to generate more income than a needed modification. On a gun like the Special Combat Government, I'm cool with the large-size ambis, but this isn't a gun type I would carry... it's a target gun.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You asked for opinions, so here are mine, although they pretty much mirror what you are hearing already:

LZHome said:
1. Would you hesitate in using a Series 70 for CCW? I know this could become a heated subject real fast so a simple "yes" or "no" is all I'm looking for.
I carry a Springfield now, it's got no s80 parts. I will be carrying a de-80'd Colt when I get to where I trust it's action.

Why would a Series 70 be more dangerous to carry than a Series 80? Just because some lawyers said so? You're going to trust some 1982 Colt Co. lawyer over John Moses Browning??? :biglaugh:

LZHome said:
I have no experience with and therefore no opinion on ambi safeties, other than I don't like their looks.

LZHome said:
3. If Colt stopped producing the Series 70 today, what would that do to the resale value of your Series 70? Also, Blued or SS has better resale value?
I have no opinion on this, other than you should not let future resale value dictate what you carry to defend your life and loved ones.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
1) Yes, no problem.
2) No ambi's for me.
3) Doubtful values would go up much. Colt produced thousands of S70. Finish is irrelevant - the appearance of the finish is what matters.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
well....odd ball out here.:mummy:

1.) if i owned a Colt series 70 (don't yet) and we were in a carry state, yes as i expect the 70 to be as reliable as i have heard they are.

2.) after having taken a grazing round in a confrontation (though i did not know i had been hit at the time(shock value/small caliber)) i did realize upon further thought afterwards how quickly an arm/hand can be taken out thus leaving you with the option of shooting with other arm/hand so all HD guns have ambi's on them now. if i take a round before gun is in hand (may it never be) and have to use off hand to pick up, swipe off safety and shoot (which i practice) i want to be able to. they are not carry guns (non carry state) so can't comment on swiping an ambi off during carry.

if we ever came to carry in our state i would have to think that over carefully as
situation could still be same in confrontation.

3.) don't know.

good luck to you.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have 3 1911's with ambi's on them. All have a detent that so far has kept them from sweeping off. Also my VM II and Watch six holsters have a sweat guard that has a dent to help hold the safety.

The other thing is the safety I like is the old Colt XS series, the right side lever is quite small but still useable.

I also have a pre-series 70 that I would carry, since stopped when I found out what it was worth, and I have to be honest, I can not tell the trigger pull on that on from the series 80's I own. I like the series 70's because the seem to be fewer issue with them, but I really would be just as happy with a nice 1991. My Commander is a 1991 in fact.

The reality is the only time you would have to worry about the series 80 parts is if you dropped the pistol from prob 3 feet or more, or project it some way, and it landed muzzle first. Unless you are an officer where you have to worry about fights and scuffles, I don't see where the rest of us have much to worry about. Unless you are butter fingered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts