1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-
I'm trying to find a source of true series 70 (well, pre- series 80) firing pins. It seems that every manufactuerer I can find is offering a "one size fits all" firing pin with the groove in it. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
the series 80 FP will work in the series 70 guns. but if you're like me and don't want '80 parts in a '70 gun, look on Brownell's website. I'm sure I've seen '70 FPs there.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I too have noticed that everybody seems to be discontinuing the pre-Series 80 style firing pins w/o the plunger groove. If you really want an older style you can try somebody like Bill Ricca (www.billricca.com) for GI surplus pins, otherwise you'll have to look to Gun Parts Corp, Gunbroker, or at gun shows. The Brownells catalog may still have them, but I didn't see any the last time I checked.

·
Registered
108 Posts
dsk said:
I too have noticed that everybody seems to be discontinuing the pre-Series 80 style firing pins w/o the plunger groove. If you really want an older style you can try somebody like Bill Ricca (www.billricca.com) for GI surplus pins, otherwise you'll have to look to Gun Parts Corp, Gunbroker, or at gun shows. The Brownells catalog may still have them, but I didn't see any the last time I checked.
I just checked Brownells 2007-#2 catalog. None listed.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Just a wild guess, but could the fact that nobody's now carrying a 70 Series-specific firing pin perhaps be indicative of the fact that such a firing pin isn't needed, since the 80 Series f.p. works in both series? :dope:

·
Registered
537 Posts
WalterGC said:
Just a wild guess, but could the fact that nobody's now carrying a 70 Series-specific firing pin perhaps be indicative of the fact that such a firing pin isn't needed, since the 80 Series f.p. works in both series? :dope:
they absolutely will work fine in '70 guns. I think it's just that some of us are purists and want original-style parts in our guns. but you are right, it doesn't make a lick of difference. especially because you don't even see the darn thing when it's installed!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
45collector said:
they absolutely will work fine in '70 guns. I think it's just that some of us are purists and want original-style parts in our guns. but you are right, it doesn't make a lick of difference. especially because you don't even see the darn thing when it's installed!
That is true - the same thing has been discussed about extractors with pretty much the same consensus.

Now, if you really want to spend more bigger money ($19.95 vs $5.95) for high class parts, there are firing pins made of titanium available !!:rolleyes:

However, they are only available in the Series 80 configuration with the notch.
:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
45collector said:
I believe the reason for the 70 pin is he is trying to "fix" his Kimber? Just a guess.:)

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I too prefer having non-Series 80 parts in my Series 70 and earlier pistols. To me, it's like using AC-Delco oil filters on a Ford. :D

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I too prefer having non-Series 80 parts in my Series 70 and earlier pistols. To me, it's like using AC-Delco oil filters on a Ford. :D
Well I can think of a better way to upgrade a Ford...(ducking and running):)
Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brownells, doublestar 560-451-501 Look's like "series 70" pictured. The "70" pins are a bit heavier and give a little more punch to the primer, but series 80pins also work in most cases without problem.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Yep - I agree though I have the "notched" Series 80 firing pins in both my Series 70s.

Interestingly enough, the notched Series 80 firing pin is .04" shorter than the Series 70 pin. Furthermore, I have replaced the stock firing pin springs with "extra strength" springs that are .35" longer than the stock springs.

I have put several thousand rounds through each without a malfunction related to the shorter firing pin/longer extra strength springs. Guess the power of the hammer impact can overcome anything like that.

OTOH, while liking to keep out of sight parts (firing pin, extractor) real series 70 parts, I haven't had any problem replacing stock sights with larger ones and the low mount thumb safeties are more comfortable for me and those parts are clearly visible.:)

Only a Series 70 owner would understand - maybe not all of them even then.

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts