1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pull the trigger on a series 70 GCNM, but I have noticed that some have a high polish blue finish on the flats and some are a mat type blue. Is the high polished finish from the Custom Shop? or were they all the same finish some or just cared for better than others?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
All of the production pistols should've had the same finish - flats polished blue. Here are my two (1977 and 1978)...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had one GCNM serires 70 and one government series 70 9mm luger.
Both of them had highly polish blue finish.
I think the matte one you are talking about could be re-blued with a non Colt standard finish...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ditto for my 1980 production pistol -- polished flats.

Is it possible that the GCNMs with "brushed" blue that you are recalling were Series 80 pistols? The current pistols are not (IIRC) as highly polished on the flats.

MA46

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that just good lighting and the other one has bad lighting and some oil that needs to be rubbed off?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm almost sure what you are seeing is the pattern left on the polished finish by the cloth that wiped off the slide. I say that based on my own personal experience with my own original S70's pistols and trying to take photos of them. If you just wipe off the oil on a polished slide, you'll very likely leave the pattern of the cloth behind, and if it's terrrycloth, it looks a lot like the 'other' finish you posted. The rollmarks look very clean and crisp, so it seems very unlikely it's been refinished. If you look at the rear of the slide, you can see what looks like oil smudges.

While the second may not be as nice as the first one posted, if properly 'polished' (just buffed with a nice clean old t-shirt) it will likely look very good.

And BTW, holy cow, I can't believe that first one sold for over $2K. That is crazy money.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
893 Posts
is that just good lighting and the other one has bad lighting and some oil that needs to be rubbed off?
A bit hard to say. It definitely does have some oil or someone has been over it with a silicone gun/reel cloth and not followed up with something like clean soft flannel or such.

That said, perhaps some pistols just did not get as good a polishing before the bluing was applied. The way the "oil" or whatever is reflecting the light it makes the surface look more like a slightly brushed finish. However, it is certainly not a "matte" finish.

Here is a picture of a GM of mine with "standard" blue finish which has a slightly "brushed" appearance.

And my IV/70 GCNM with a brighter blue in a similar setting.

And here is the GCNM in different lighting.

Sorry that I do not have a picture of the two side by side. I may be able to get one in the next day or two. I guess I'll go ahead and post this, but after previewing it I admit these particular pics do not really tell a great story about the two finishes.

EDIT: Another thing, you can tell just by looking at the pics in this thread that it is not easy to get really great shots of blued pistols without proper lighting equipment or "just right" natural light. Something that many sellers on GB or GA (most, in fact) are not going to have.

MA46

1 - 12 of 12 Posts