1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my area that price would be a good one for one of those. Although, the ambi-thumb safety and the wide grip safety are most likely not original unless they were special ordered from Colt. Factory Electroless Nickel finish is scarce on these, however, there were others that were also doing the E-nick finish during the early 80's as an aftermarket finish so in order to validate it a Colt Archive letter would need to be purchased. I'd use some caution since the wide grip safety appears to be the same finish as the gun in the photo. Maybe it's not, maybe it's stainless, hard to tell in the pic. But if it is the same finish and if it's not original to the gun, I'd say you only have about a 50% chance the guns finish is original from Colt. For that kind of cash, I would definitely call the Colt Archives to confirm it. Hopefully everything is all Colt factory original. Anyway, it's a good-looking piece. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it's in the original box, the label should help confirm the finish unless of course, the box and/ or label are faked reproductions. Post some pics here of the box and label if you get a chance and run the serial number on this link to see if you can get a date of production. Take care.

Colt's Manufacturing LLC

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about my label? Something doesn’t line up. Why the cursive writing in pen on yours? Fake labels are easy. Maybe this is fake. Who know View attachment 651387
Label writing styles can vary based on who was doing the writing during the day at the time. Most likely several people. And maybe an entry level person(s) position. Colt Custom Shop was pumping out a lot of guns back then. Pretty boring job I would imagine. Anyway, I'd be willing to bet yours is real too. It looks like what a 40+ year old box and Custom Shop label should look like.

What's interesting is that you have; a 1979 Gold Cup whereas I have a 1979 Combat Commander, both in Electroless Nickel, and both have the same Factory Order number FO11074 (upper right). So that means more than likely both guns were shipped out to the very same store/ company for re-sale after leaving the factory.

Wood Rectangle Gas Handwriting Font

1 - 4 of 4 Posts