1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post; after my intro post. I have come across a unicorn and itching to add it to my collection. It’s a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match in electroless nickel with ambidextrous safety. And by looking at it, it appears to have been a safe queen; not a single wear mark on the feed ramp. From what I can see, everything is original, but I have not field stripped it yet to see if the barrel bushing is the original collet or has been swapped out. My LGS just picked this up from an estate sale, and has not come up on a price yet. I have first dibs and trying to do some research on value. From my findings, this gorgeous pistol goes for around $3,000-$3,500. Does this sound about right? Thanks!
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my area that price would be a good one for one of those. Although, the ambi-thumb safety and the wide grip safety are most likely not original unless they were special ordered from Colt. Factory Electroless Nickel finish is scarce on these, however, there were others that were also doing the E-nick finish during the early 80's as an aftermarket finish so in order to validate it a Colt Archive letter would need to be purchased. I'd use some caution since the wide grip safety appears to be the same finish as the gun in the photo. Maybe it's not, maybe it's stainless, hard to tell in the pic. But if it is the same finish and if it's not original to the gun, I'd say you only have about a 50% chance the guns finish is original from Colt. For that kind of cash, I would definitely call the Colt Archives to confirm it. Hopefully everything is all Colt factory original. Anyway, it's a good-looking piece. Good luck.
Thank you for the info. My LGS says it’s all original, but I did not see any documentation when he brought out the original box. I will ask him if there is any paperwork backing up his claim, but also put in a call to Colt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's in the original box, the label should help confirm the finish unless of course, the box and/ or label are faked reproductions. Post some pics here of the box and label if you get a chance and run the serial number on this link to see if you can get a date of production. Take care.

Colt's Manufacturing LLC
She’s a holy grail. Made in 1980 and all work done at Colt Custom Shop. Thanks for your help.
Motor vehicle Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I can only imagine how many smiths they had roll through there. And I’m sure they all had their own style of writing. Kinda cool my guy wrote in cursive, so fancy for a now fancy pistol lol. When I saw the original bill of sale for $500 I was a little taken back; since now, 42 years later, they are selling for 8x+ that price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts