1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I have a chance to purchase a .45 series 70 Government with a serial number 70B45xxx. I believe this is a 1980 to 1983 made true series 70. Am I correct? It has some wear but appears to be original the price I will be paying is $700. Which I believe to be fair.

·
Administrator
74,033 Posts
Depending on the amount of wear that's either a good price or a steal. As long as Bubba the basement gunsmith hasn't gotten his hands on it you probably can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
As DSK points out, that seems like a very good price. In the DFW area a decent S70 can bring $900 easy, and $1K+ in LNIB condition. I have several and would hate to part with any of them. To me, they are the classic Colt of my formative shooting years.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
490 Posts
Per the serial number you have posted I would check it over closely. Colt had a dark ages period where the sent out some poorly machined slides (rounded locking lugs) which if the case is a non starter. If I were you I would buy a repro series 70, they are out there if you look.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
I see them in great shape in the $700-$800 area down here. Of course you will still have the collet barrel bushing. Also having the correct grips would be important.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I see them in great shape in the $700-$800 area down here. Of course you will still have the collet barrel bushing. Also having the correct grips would be important.
i need to buy my Colts in your neck of the woods. DFW area is no way that low. Last GS some seller had a .38 Super in very nice condition, no box, wanted $1999. I also saw a chromed and modded Gold Cup for $1499. There is a big dealer who has a lot of LNIB S70's with the boxes, papers, etc., and he's north of $2K on some. Had an early 9mm large rollmarks around $2,599. I think others see his prices and figure they can charge the same.

While pheasant hunting in SD a few weeks ago a local dealer had the small rollmarks S70 9mm LNIB, all the goodies for $1999, and $2199 for a .38 Super. I told him I thought he was high and he looked at like I was high. It's crazy.

dakotaTex

·
Administrator
74,033 Posts
It's one thing for people to put those kinds of silly price tags on their guns. It's another for them to actually find somebody willing to pay that much. It's like Gunbroker, sometimes I just like to look at the pictures and try to ignore the asinine "Buy It Now" price they've got on there.

·
Premium Member
15,728 Posts
Here's a 1982 70B in original condition which may help you determine originality of the one you're looking at. BTW, if you get it and it still has the collet bushing with four fingers, do not pull the bushing off the barrel.

·
Premium Member
15,728 Posts
Thanks, gentlemen. I hate to tell you, but it shoots as good as it looks.:) I think I got this one for $675 on GB a few years ago. I had bought another one before that for $535 but it had a bad scar right in the middle of the roll mark. I was walking around the gun show with it when I spotted a nice Remington Rand for $1125 (2005). Talking with the guy, it became obvious he wanted the MKIVS70, so I traded it in along with $400 cash for the RR. I love gun deals - back then I helped a friend who always got a table at the show. We had a great time and did a few deals over the years.

·
Administrator
74,033 Posts
Nice pistol, 1saxman. Unless you found one unfired in the original box it doesn't look like yours could be upgraded.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I sure would like to know where to find some of these pre-80 series Colt 1911A1's that look like new for $700. In my neck of the woods, dealers get close to that much for the cheap junk cast frame foreign made 1911A1's. Seen a blued 95% Colt Combat Commander made in 1978, caliber 45ACP go for $1200 just last week at a local auction and this was just the pistol, no box or papers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I sure would like to know where to find some of these pre-80 series Colt 1911A1's that look like new for $700. In my neck of the woods, dealers get close to that much for the cheap junk cast frame foreign made 1911A1's. Seen a blued 95% Colt Combat Commander made in 1978, caliber 45ACP go for $1200 just last week at a local auction and this was just the pistol, no box or papers.
At local auctions, people go crazy...at least they do around here. I've told my wife "if I die first, have an auction!"

·
Registered
977 Posts
Who is the auctioneer? I may have some 1911's for sale. ;)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hey 1Saxman................got the older brother of your Series 70 sitting behind me in a display case with original grips and factory mag. Ser. # XXX40B70.

Bought it new in '80. Still got box, papers, and tools.

Got less than 50 rounds through it.

You're right-----shoots scary straight.

When I bought it I asked the LGS owner what would he recommend if I wanted to buy some NIB ones that in his opinion would appreciate in future years if I held on to them factory fired only.

He suggested a 6" Nickel Python, and a Nickel Smith Model 27 3.5" Paid $850.00 for both of them OTD.

They're both sitting in my safe in the box.

As I look at what I paid in '80, and what they're going for today, the guy did me pretty good.:rock:

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts