1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Central Gun Exchange (1st & Madison) has a minty-looking original S70, for $725. The only blemish I could see, with it sitting in the display case, was a scar on the recoil spring plug, like someone used a tool to depress it, or something.
With the new S70s as nice as they are, are old ones, even in really good shape, as desireable as they were a couple of years ago?

·
Administrator
73,757 Posts
Rick,

IMO the new Series 70's are built better than the original ones. I personally wouldn't pay top dollar for a 1st Gen S70. $725 is probably the most I'd spend.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It all depends on what you want the piece for. The new guns are probably better made, they do not have the collet bushing so take down is a little easier, tolerences are probably better. The finish will not be as nice. If you want a good shooting, non series 80 piece to upgrade, refinish, swap out parts on, etc. than get a new one if you can. Get an original Series 70 cuz you want an original series 70 in the original finish. Just my opinion.

tipoc

·
Administrator
73,757 Posts
Some of the original S70's had a nice finish, while others looked like crud. Most that I've seen have a reddish tint in the slide and heavy tooling marks inside.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
You're right. Some are in poor condition today, I have one that was badly pitted on one side from poor storage while the other had the original beautiful blue. I got it specifically to build up. The "reddish tint" you mention is called "plum", some folks , like me like the older pieces where the blue was done slightly off from the norm, and the plum shows as it ages. You see it alot on 3 screw Rugers and I've seen it on a few Pythons. Others don't like it and consider it a flaw. Tool marks, for example, don't bother me at all on a Colt, as long as they're on the inside and don't affect functioning. I've never seen a original series 70 or pre series 70 in good to excellent condition that didn't have prettier blueing than any gun made in the last decade or two. Cost of the older methods moved them out.

A lot of this is a matter of taste and preference. And what someone wants to do with their gun ain't my buisness. But if an opinion is asked for, I like everyone else, have one and will say it.

tipoc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts