1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A friend asked me to look over a Series 70 MK IV for him because it's jamming on him with failures to feed. Cartridges get about half way up the feed ramp and then jam.

It was made in 1980 and has what I think is the original collet bushing and probably the original recoil spring. It doesn't look like it has been fired much at all.

It only jammed once in three mags worth of ammo. the jam was with one of my (pretty new) Colt mags so I guess we can rule that out.

I was thinking of putting in a new recoil spring and polishing the feed ramp. The collet bushing looks healthy but was initially quite a pain in the ass during reassembly. I've had it apart a few times now and eventually get it reassembled. What is the proper way to reassemble with a collet?

I talked to someone at Colt today and they said they make a barrel bushing that fits ALL government models even the ones that came with collets. I'm thinking of replacing the Collet with one of the newer ones and telling him to just hold on to the original in case he ever decides to selll it.

What am I missing in trying to get this thing to run right?

As always, thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Failure to Feed - Likely Causes

1. Magazine releases the round too early in the feed cycle.
2. Barrel not properly ramped for bullet type. This is pretty common with older Colts. Leave the frame ramp alone, it is rarely the problem, and you can ruin the ramp by altering it.
3. Rear of case catching in the firing pin hole. Lightly chamfer the hole.
4. Rim of case hanging on the extractor as it rises up the breech face. Round the bottom of the extractor groove

All of this assumes the ammunition is powerful enough, sized properly, the correct length, bases not enlarged, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts