1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could have either one, but only one, and the price was the same, both LNIB, which would you buy and why?

·
Registered
131 Posts
BB --
The main difference between these two pistols is that the 80 will have a firing pin safety, and the 70 will probably have the "accurizer" bushing. For carry, go with the 80, since the firing pin safety is an asset in that role, and a solid bushing is better for reliability. If you plan to have it built into a bullseye pistol, the 70 is probably the better choice, since it's simpler to do a good trigger job on it, and the bushing will get jettisoned anyway when the smith fits the barrel. I believe the 70s also still had the lightened slides for better functioning with wad loads. -- MD

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
If the guns were truly the same, with same accuracy, quality of construction, etc., I'd take the S70. I'm not convinced that the S80 "safety" is of any real benefit, so I'd rather not have it. If the S80 was cheaper, all else being equal, I'd buy it and remove the S80 bits.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the situation-
I've been wanting a 1911 for a little while, to target shoot a little and as an investment. Thats why I've settled on the Colt Gold Cup. I want a pistol that I can keep all original, yet accurate. I've seen 99% Colt Gold Cup series 70s and 80s, in box with everything for $900. Just trying to decide which one to buy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
BB -- If that's your situation, get the 70. Resale value is higher, and it's fine for casual target shooting. I do like the 80 firing pin safety for carry. Should your sear ever fail, you won't get a scorched arse.

David -- Thanks for the correction on the slide lightening. Didn't know they dropped that feature so early.

--MD

·
Registered
518 Posts
i own both, and to me they are both great guns, but the 70"s series just seems to have , i dont know....character. the 80"s are great guns but just seem to production based everyone has one type of guns. i just love those 70's. if i find myself a 70's series ACE, oh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
mr. pitiful I know what you mean. I have a stock Series 70 Gold Cup and while it's not quite as acurate as my P II I wouldn't want to have to choose between them. Don't know what it is but there's something special about that gun,over and above it being a Colt. I guess it's just the beauty and mystique of a fine firearm.

------------------

NRA/GOA/GOTF
Vote!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you're patient and persistent, you can fine a great deal on a Gold Cup on gunsamerica.com, as well as several other websites. However, you must check the sites frequently. Here's my example . . .

I bought a 98% Series 70 Gold Cup this year at Super Bowl halftime for $650. The guy I bought it from had both a Series 70 and 80 for the same price, and he put them on-line just before the game started. The Series 80 was already sold when I called him at halftime.

I had been checking the site several times per day for at least a month before the purchase. I knew what I wanted, what the market value was, and what kind of deal I wanted to make(below $700 in at-least very good condition). I made unsuccessful offers on two other GC's before buying this one.

Great deals are out there if you're patient and persistent.

------------------
The Humongously Adventuresome E the B

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by E the B:
Here's my example . . .

I bought a 98% Series 70 Gold Cup this year at Super Bowl halftime for $650. The guy I bought it from had both a Series 70 and 80 for

E,

I am searching Fjestad's Blue Book of gun vales, twenty first edition and I cannot find a GC series 70 except as a NM. Is that what you are refering to or did you find a GC which was not a NM?

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 12-16-2000).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought a house NIB GCTrophy Match S/S. Then I bought a used car 1968 National Match. The house has'nt been lived in so I can't tell you anything about firing. But what a beauty. The car is about the best 1911 I've ever owned. And the only Colt I would customize, which I did is a 1991 S/S. You sound like a smart man. Don't alter a Gold Cup. Same price and condition go with a 70 series. 737-200

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gold Cup Series 70

BB,
I bought a Colt Gold Cup in 1975. I shot maybe 60 rounds and put it up.
Friend came by one day and asked about my Gold Cup. I opened the butterfly case and he immediately oferred me $900 for it, in front of my wife. (She was awestruck)
I put it away and bought a Sig 9mm, because of the value.
spp1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Series 70 without a doubt,hand's down!!

Iown a Gold Cup, pre Series 70 and have over the year's fired everything from 1941 dated military ball to 180 grain hollowpoint,and you know what, this pistol is Still dead to point of aim !! The only problem that I have ever had was the slide release having to be replaced and Colt did this free of charge shortly after I bought the pistol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why get a series 70
Live it up and get a pre 70
Al little more but quite a lot more in resale

1951 Colt Goverbment 45

1 - 16 of 16 Posts