1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an all original Series 70 today in good shape and am wondering what a reasonable price for it would be. There is one scratch on the frame just in front of the slide stop and slight wear to the finish on the front edges of the slide. I do not have the serial number in front of me to date it. Thanks for you help.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
An original 1st gen Series 70 in 99% condition is currently worth between $800 to $1000 in today's market. It really depends on whether it still has the box and papers, and also if there are any manufacturing flaws.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
A local shop (Phoenix) which specializes in quality "mature" guns, has a S70 Gvmt in their showcase at $1100. It's allegedly NIB and unfired and looks like it. It has been there a while.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This past November I bought a 1979-built series 70 in 80% condition for $475. It had upgraded rear (adjustable) sight, and upgraded (fiber optic) front sight, beaver tail grip safety, a 2-piece full length guide rod (which I replaced), and a Pachmyer finger groove wrap around rubber grip.

Excellent shooter, bunch of slide stop scratches, happy I bought it. It was my first 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An original 1st gen Series 70 in 99% condition is currently worth between $800 to $1000 in today's market. It really depends on whether it still has the box and papers, and also if there are any manufacturing flaws.
Thanks for the reply, I do not think it has the box and papers and I am not sure I am knowledgeable enough to check for manufacturing flaws. I did cycle it and dry fire it and it felt good and looks quite nice.

Also, they are asking $825. Does this sound reasonable?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Using Gunbroker as a database, the box and paperwork sell by themselves for about $125--or at least that's what folks list them for. That seems to be about the premium that gun sellers get when they list and sell guns with box, etc.

I just paid $835 for a 95% GCNM w/o paperwork and box, and those with seem to list and sell for $1K on up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
$800 for a Colt Series 70 Government - build date: late 1982 (per Colt). It was in a Sheriff's Evidence Room from 11/02/1982 until June 2007. It appears to have hardly been fired but looks like someone dropped it on the muzzle. However, it shoots POA-POI at 15 yards with a collet bushing (to be replaced with an EGW Angle Bore bushing). The wife noticed it at a recent gun show in a nondescript display mixed in with junk, one month after I purchased a Series 70 Reproduction. Now I am on the horns of a dilemma. Which one should I move if and when I find a Colt Gunsite CCO? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought one with virtually no wear for $900 w/o box. I bought it as the base for a custom gun some day. The dealer was telling me it might be a good idea to leave it stock as the value will like go up in ten years as they get more scarce.

Do you guys think I should leave it stock?

Also would a trigger job using only the original parts hurt resale?

Also, the S/N suggests it was made between 81 and 83 if that matters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all. I ran a box of shells through the gun at the range and it shot fantastic with no hiccups. I like it so much I put it on lay away at the gun store. (I do not have that kind of walking around cash.) I will try to add pics later if you are interested.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
It must be nice to actually be able to test-fire a piece before you buy it. In my neck of the woods it's a matter of "you buy it, you fix it if it doesn't work".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got one too

Bought mine about 2 years ago now. Series 70 - all original that I can tell with the collet bushing. Lots of holster wear and nickeled. Silver Pony rough side out / smooth grips. Shoots great. Paid $500 OTD.

Not the prettiest, but a definate shooter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought an 70-75 percent B serial numbered series 70 a few years back $250 OTD. The Colt has excellent slide to frame, fit 'n finish and 100 percent reliable through thousands of rounds. In otherwords, a good Colt.

This series 70 is out getting a custom treatment and should be a very nice 'custom' when it's finished.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought an 70-75 percent B serial numbered series 70 a few years back $250 OTD. The Colt has excellent slide to frame, fit 'n finish and 100 percent reliable through thousands of rounds. In otherwords, a good Colt.

This series 70 is out getting a custom treatment and should be a very nice 'custom' when it's finished.
Wow, you just stole that. You can't even get a LLama 1911 for that price.

I just bought a 80% series 70 1911 with bowmar rear site and pachmyer grips for $400 + shipping and everything......it'll cost me $470 all said and done by the time it hits my FFL. I'd like to think I did good and any Colt 1911 is going to cost $550 in decent used shape here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got a 1976 Goverment model in SWEET shape; blueing is 99%+, all original, no modifictions, original sight and trigger. Silver medallion checkered wood grip. Even has the original mag. I paid $825. No box or papers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts