1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive a dumb question, but I was unable to find an answer using the stickys or the search function.

On an original Series 70 GM, do the following manufacturing processes apply?

Investment Cast:
Thumb Safety, Grip Safety, Mainspring Housing (Series 70 Models)

MIM (Metal Injection Molded):
Magazine Catch, Mag Catch Lock, Sear, Disconnector

If these facts are correct, which manufacturer offers those parts in forged steel? Wilson?

·
Registered
112 Posts
On an original S70 (best I can tell from owning several) the parts you mention below are all forged or machined parts - no MIM or cast.

JH

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have two '79s and I believe both have forged or machined parts (correct me if I'm wrong, as I would like to know). So, if by "original" you mean old manufacture, I think you're good - if you mean modern Series 70 reproduction, you have both cast and MIM.

Colt keeps MIM parts to a bare minimum and claims the ones they use are safe in those places, and I'm sure they know better than me, but I'm just not comfortable with a MIM sear, YMMV.

Wilson does make forged/machined parts (Bullet Proof, their name) to replace all the cast and/or MIM parts Colt uses.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting to replace parts with something that's actually more functional or ergonomic for you.

Do a search of the 865 pages of this sub-forum as well as a search of the 1394 pages of the Gunsmithing and Troubleshooting sub-forum. I'll wager you won't find more than a dozen or so posts where any of the factory parts used by Colt failed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts